readynas 4200 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkmachine

Dabbler
I recently received a readynas 4200 rackmount server for little to nothing. I am looking to eventually replace the motherboard with one that is more compatible with FreeNAS (not to mention easier to find documentation on). But I would like to make some use of this in the meantime while I pull together the funds for the rebuild.
Currently the system has a 2U 12 bay Supermicro chassis,a Supermicro X7SB3-NI015 rev 1.02 motherboard with an onboard LSI 1068e. And the backplane is a SAS-826TQ-NIO15 rev 3.1.

I know the LSI 1068e doesn't support drives greater than 2TB, so I was wondering if it made any sense to disable the onboard and add a more compatible HBA. Would there be any drive size limits with the backplane or would it even work for what I am thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dice

Wizard

Dice

Wizard
I find the same information on other vendor's sites too. How interesting. Perhaps due to the 'one on one' SATA connectivity, there is no expander circuit that could cause problems, perhaps.

Maybe @depasseg has some ideas.
Is BPN-SAS-826TQ-NI015 for sure compatible with +2TB sized drives?

Arwen

MVP
Looking at the disk backplane manual, I'd say it can't have a SAS expander chip.
(SAS version 1 expander chips would be the 2TB disk size limiting factor.) SAS
expanders take few host ports, (generally 4 or 8), and make more disk ports, like
8 or 12. If not doing that, then no need for the SAS expander chip, (and it's cost).

So it is likely that back plane supports larger disks. Of course, without a SATA or
SAS2 port to test, you can't be sure.

drkmachine

Dabbler
The motherboard itself has 6 SATA ports and 8 SAS ports. I cannot find anything about the board supporting larger than 2TB drives I know the onboard LSI 1068e does not. I guess I am just assuming that the SATA ports on the motherboard do not support larger than 2TB drives either.

Arwen

MVP
The motherboard itself has 6 SATA ports and 8 SAS ports. I cannot find anything about the board supporting larger than 2TB drives I know the onboard LSI 1068e does not. I guess I am just assuming that the SATA ports on the motherboard do not support larger than 2TB drives either.
If you have a disk larger than 2TB, and are willing to setup a test, give a SATA port a try. Basically;
  • Re-wire one of the disk slots to a SATA port
  • Put in the >2TB disk into that disk slot
  • Install boot media
  • After boot, check the size of the disk.

drkmachine

Dabbler
sorry for the delayed response. It looks like the motherboard doesn't support larger drives, The bios reports a 4tb drive as only 1.9tb. Was hoping to avoid needing to upgrade the motherboard at least for a little while, still unsure about that backplane though.

jumpbackjack

Cadet
Hi drkmachine,

Did you ever get to find out if the backplane supports drives larger than 2TB? I just got an old readynas 4200 chassis and I'm planning on swapping the MB to a Supermicro X10SL7-F. The drives I am currently using all are 3Tb and higher. Your feedback would really help.

Stux

MVP
If the backplane has TQ or Direct Attach SAS/SATA ports, then its just a passive backplane, and shouldn't care. Its all up to the HBA.

If the motherboard itself is limited to less than 2TB and has an open PCIe slot, then adding an HBA which does support >2TB drives, and the suitable breakout cables should resolve the issue.

Stux

MVP
Hi drkmachine,

Did you ever get to find out if the backplane supports drives larger than 2TB? I just got an old readynas 4200 chassis and I'm planning on swapping the MB to a Supermicro X10SL7-F. The drives I am currently using all are 3Tb and higher. Your feedback would really help.

If you're buying the board new, then do yourself a favour and use an X11 equivalent which doesn't have a 32GB ram limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.