rar2fs and FreeNAS 11?

niklasniklas

Cadet
I had a working install of rar2fs on my 9.3 install and shared it using SMB to my plex server. Today i decided to upgrade to version 11 and now i get access denied when I try to access the smb share. Accessing the original non-unrared share works. So has anyone successfully installed rar2fs in the latest version?

Currently I have a script running at boot for mounting the rar2fs stuff.

Code:
cat /mnt/vol0/opt/rar2fs.sh
#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/mnt/vol0/opt' ; /sbin/kldload fuse.ko;/mnt/vol0/opt/rar2fs --seek-length=1 -o allow_other /mnt/vol0/rar/ /mnt/vol0/unrar

Logged in using ssh to the FreeNAS box and I can list and browse the unrar dir without issues. I think the problem is how smb is trying to share the dir.

For my 9.3 install i used this guide http://goran.tornqvist.ws/rar2fs-on-freenas-9-2-embeded/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What are you trying to achieve that ZFS native compression won't fix?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I had a working install of rar2fs on my 9.3 install and shared it using SMB to my plex server. Today i decided to upgrade to version 11 and now i get access denied when I try to access the smb share. Accessing the original non-unrared share works. So has anyone successfully installed rar2fs in the latest version?

Currently I have a script running at boot for mounting the rar2fs stuff.

Code:
cat /mnt/vol0/opt/rar2fs.sh
#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/mnt/vol0/opt' ; /sbin/kldload fuse.ko;/mnt/vol0/opt/rar2fs --seek-length=1 -o allow_other /mnt/vol0/rar/ /mnt/vol0/unrar

Logged in using ssh to the FreeNAS box and I can list and browse the unrar dir without issues. I think the problem is how smb is trying to share the dir.

For my 9.3 install i used this guide http://goran.tornqvist.ws/rar2fs-on-freenas-9-2-embeded/
You are not going to get any responses. Most people are just going to ask what the heck you are doing.

You should unpack things when you get them and just browse the files like normal. Or install your rar too on your client you use to browse.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

niklasniklas

Cadet
I mounted the /rar dir on my linux plex server and mounted that with rar2fs and it worked. Thanks i didnt think of that solution. Now i have more time to troubleshoot rar2fs on my freenas machine. My plan is now to create a bunch of freenas installs and see if i can make it work in a previous version and also to check a fresh install of 11.0 instead of my upgraded version.

niklasniklas

Cadet
OK after some more troubleshooting i found out that sharing the /mnt/vol0/unrar folder using sftp instead of samba works. So now my setup is mounting the samba share on the plex server and then remounting it with rar2fs. For mobile clients i use sftp instead of samba.

Perhaps there is a setting for samba somewhere that could solve my issue but i have not found it.

Blokmeister

Dabbler
Hey Niklasniklas!

How did you manage to get it to work? I used the same guide, but I get the error "libstdc++.so.6" not found, required by "rar2fs".

niklasniklas

Cadet
Sorry for late reply.

I copied in the libstdc++.so.6 file from freebsd into the /mnt/vol0/opt dir where i keep the rar2fs stuff.

Code:
root@freenas:/mnt/vol0/opt # md5 libstdc++.so.6  
MD5 (libstdc++.so.6) = 8f356652acb90208309c3835170249ca

Muddro

Explorer
Any current guide on how all this works? I think it may be a solution for something I am working on.

Edit: getting 502 error

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it may be a solution for something I am working on.
I'm not sure this is a solution to any real problem and most people are just going to ignore this as nonsense unless there's a good reasoning attached.

Muddro

Explorer
I'm not sure this is a solution to any real problem and most people are just going to ignore this as nonsense unless there's a good reasoning attached.

I am trying to transition to sonarr/radarr, but they dont recognize rar files. It was suggested that by implementing this, they will have read access and be able to copy files from within the rar to where they need to go.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I guess they would, but that's still a rather unusual desire. They're archives, not live data. Unrar them before storing them permanently. Not that compressing media files makes much sense in the first place, it's not like lossless compression is going to provide tangible benefits over the compression that the files themselves already have.

Muddro

Explorer
I guess they would, but that's still a rather unusual desire. They're archives, not live data. Unrar them before storing them permanently. Not that compressing media files makes much sense in the first place, it's not like lossless compression is going to provide tangible benefits over the compression that the files themselves already have.
Its ok, took me a while but I found a workaround that will do. thanks anyway!