Random reboots still after 1 month of hardware testing

CoreyVidal

Dabbler
@Samuel Tai Thank you! This seems like a clear answer! Buying another one isn't a problem. They're cheap on eBay. I just want this nightmare to be over.

I'll buy another one and see how it goes. At least I have hope.

Thanks!

CoreyVidal

Dabbler
Bringing this back from the dead.

So things have been stable for months. My server would go months at a time without crashing. If for whatever reason I restarted the machine, it might crash and reboot one or two times, but as long as I left it alone, it would become stable and work fine for months.

I have been experimenting with some jails, and while I was playing around with settings I noticed that I still had set kern.corefile to /var/coredumps/%U/%N.core as sysctl in the web-GUI at System ➞ Tunables.

I remember having set this back on July 18th, 2020, at the recommendation of @Samuel Tai. Not thinking I needed it anymore, I unchecked "Enable" (so that I wouldn't delete it). I intentionally restarted. And now, the system is rebooting over and over without stabilizing.

Isn't that weird? Does that tell me/us anything interesting? Might it help in solving the situation permanently?

proligde

Dabbler
@CoreyVidal this sounds pretty exactly like the problem I'm facing right now:

I get randomly "mps_reinit hard reset failed with error 60". Sometimes after hours or days. Sometimes after minutes. I'm using a DELL Perc H310 HBA, that also contains an LSI2008 like yours and which is also flashed to IT mode.

I've only spent three days with that problem so far, but that was already enough to order a new HBA after I think I ruled everything else out. I don't have it yet, but I'm pretty sure that it will fix my issue.

What about you? Did you get a new HBA and did it resolve your problem?