RAM options

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPhreak

Contributor
Is there anything specific (speed, brand, registered/unbuffered, etc) that one should be looking for when choosing ECC RAM for use with FreeNAS?

Is buying used RAM say off eBay a good/bad option?

Dusan

Guru
Is there anything specific (speed, brand, registered/unbuffered, etc) that one should be looking for when choosing ECC RAM for use with FreeNAS?
The motherboard documentation will tell you exactly what kind of ECC memory you need; e.g. if the board requires unbuffered memory, then only unbuffered memory will work.

JimPhreak

Contributor
The motherboard documentation will tell you exactly what kind of ECC memory you need; e.g. if the board requires unbuffered memory, then only unbuffered memory will work.

http://www.asrock.com/server/overview.asp?Model=E3C226D2I

That's my board but I see no mention of the specific type of RAM it takes. But also my question was does the speed matter really at all and are there any brand/models I should steer clear of.

Dusan

Guru
OK, this is taken form the manual:
Dual Channel DDR3 1600/1333 ECC UDIMM
so let's decode it :).

Dual Channel -- the board can access two DIMMS at the same time, so it makes sense to install memory in pairs. Your board only has two slots, so to maximize performance you should install two DIMMs instead of one.
DDR3 ECC -- get DDR3 ECC memory ;)
1600/1333 -- the supported speeds. It actually does not really matter if you get the 1600MHz or 1333MHz ones. Most 1333MHz modules on the market are CL9, most 1600MHz modules are CL11, so the real world performance difference is negligible (FYI, lower CL is better/faster).
UDIMM -- Unbuffered DIMM
As for the brands; I had so far good experience with Kingston & Crucial, but I guess there are also other good brands. I use those two as they are easy to get in my part of the world.

JimPhreak

Contributor
OK, this is taken form the manual:

so let's decode it :).

Dual Channel -- the board can access two DIMMS at the same time, so it makes sense to install memory in pairs. Your board only has two slots, so to maximize performance you should install two DIMMs instead of one.
DDR3 ECC -- get DDR3 ECC memory ;)
1600/1333 -- the supported speeds. It actually does not really matter if you get the 1600MHz or 1333MHz ones. Most 1333MHz modules on the market are CL9, most 1600MHz modules are CL11, so the real world performance difference is negligible (FYI, lower CL is better/faster).
UDIMM -- unbuffered DIMM
As for the brands; I had so far good experience with Kingston & Crucial, but I guess there are also other good brands. I use those two as they are easy to get in my part of the world.

Thanks for the breakdown I don't know how I missed UDIMM it must be later than I thought.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As to your question about purchasing off ebay, providing you buy a quality manufacturer RAM like Kingston, Crucial, etc... that always ha a lifetime warranty and the RAM sticks are not physically damaged, it should be a safe buy. If the RAM doesn't work then you could just send them in for a free replacement. It's not ideal but RAM is one of the safer items you could buy off of ebay for that simple reason, but verify the RAM you purchase could be returned under warranty is needed before buying it. If the price is too good to be true, then stay away from it. If I had to put RAM for sale then I'd find the average going rate and price mine there, maybe down a buck or two. I would not substantially undercut the price. And I don't know how much DDR3 Unbuffered ECC RAM you will find out there on ebay either, not much I'd think. And if you're stuck with a maximum of two sticks, I don't know if your MB supports up to 16GB but if it does, go for two 8GB sticks. The downside to ebay is if they are not compatible with your MB then you may be selling them on ebay yourself vice returning them for an exchange of something that does work.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.