RAM recommendation

revengineer

Contributor
Hi,
I am still getting started with FreeNAS, looking at RAM now. I bought a Supermicro 486 server with X9DRI-F motherboard on ebay. The server was equipped with 16 GB of RAM (SK Hynix, 4GB 1Rx4 PC3L-10600R-9-12-C2, HMT351R7EFR4A-H9), which is a little thin for running VMs and a 30 TB Pool. So I am seeking to buy 64 GB of Registered RAM. Ebay offers this for ~$125. I have a few questions:
1. The present ram is 1333 MHz speed. Should I buy 10600R modules, which have the same speed, so that I can use all modules to yield 80 GB memory?
2. Or should I buy 12800R modules and only use the new 64 GB modules?
3. Or should I buy 12800R modules and MIX these and the old modules to get 80GB?

Option 3 is presumably bad. But please, your recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you!

jon_2112

Explorer
You can attempt to mix types/speeds of RAM. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, in my experience. I'd probably go buy an 8x 8GB set on eBay. If it works with your current 4x 4GB all the better.

revengineer

Contributor
You can attempt to mix types/speeds of RAM. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not, in my experience. I'd probably go buy an 8x 8GB set on eBay. If it works with your current 4x 4GB all the better.
Thank you for the feedback. I was thinking about buying 4x16GB to keep some slots open for further upgrades. I assume that will work, or am I wrong?

jon_2112

Explorer
Well that board does have 16 memory slots so you could upgrade from 64 to 128 GB by buying another set of 8x 8GB, but that's fine. It doesn't really matter. I think you might sacrifice a little bit of speed by not populating all the channels, but I can't imagine it would be meaningful at all.

revengineer

Contributor
I realize I am late to the game here but FWIW I typically also recommend that folks buy the largest modules they can afford. The reason is that FreeNAS cares most about the total amount of memory and having the largest modules supported by the board allows you to more easily upgrade in the future without replacing old sticks. Of course, there are factors to consider such as price, availability, etc. In some cases, it may not be appropriate, but in many places it is advised. I'm half posting here just for folks who find this thread in the future and are considering their own memory upgrades. @revengineer it sounds like you found memory that fits your budget and needs though, which is great!

revengineer

Contributor
I realize I am late to the game here but FWIW I typically also recommend that folks buy the largest modules they can afford. The reason is that FreeNAS cares most about the total amount of memory and having the largest modules supported by the board allows you to more easily upgrade in the future without replacing old sticks. Of course, there are factors to consider such as price, availability, etc. In some cases, it may not be appropriate, but in many places it is advised. I'm half posting here just for folks who find this thread in the future and are considering their own memory upgrades. @revengineer it sounds like you found memory that fits your budget and needs though, which is great!
Thanks for your comment, and your point is well taken. I will use my FreeNAS server in a home environment, and the 64 GB are probably a little oversized because my processors' powers will limit the number of VMs I can run. I still have room for modules to increase RAM if needed. However, if FreeNAS works well for me, I will likely replace this server a few years down the road. I will then follow your advice.