raidz2 suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
I have 6 sata ports and 2 e-sata ports on my ASUS M4A79XTD board. After reading here for several days I'm thinking that six 1tb drives (raidz2) with one 1tb spare drive and one 80gb ssd for L2ARC should give me a system that will work.
This is for my home office that will support two desktop and three laptop clients. Also upgraded the ram to 16gb's. Any advise as how to group the six hard drives at this point would be great.

JaimieV

Guru
Six drives is a good number of physical volumes for a RAIDZ2 - just group them into one vdev, then (if you need to) split off quota'd sections using datasets. Leave the spare 1Tb drive in a locked cupboard somewhere to swap in, don't build it into the system. With RAIDZ2 you get a safe warning period, since you're still redundant when one dies, and having to manually switch a disk out makes sure that you get a new spare bought in ASAP. Also means you know which disks are active in the system - all of them! Avoids potential screwups by pulling the wrong drive later.

It doesn't matter which ports you use, just make sure that physically anything mounted on the eSATAs is safely locked away and perhaps put a blob of hotglue on the connectors if that makes sense.

Is there some reason you want to use 1Tb drives? A four 2Tb RAIDZ2 would give you the same protection for much the same price and allow you to fit all the drives (except the spare!) internally, likely run a bit faster, cooler and lower power.

Usual warnings apply about not buying all your drives identical in one box - raises the odds that they're the same production run, and have had the same environment all their "life", so that they'll start failing at much the same time.

You may find that the L2ARC isn't necessary, as your system has plenty of RAM and is likely rate limited by the network rather than the disks. Try it with and without. If your clients are Windows based, ie you're using SMB shares, be aware that Samba is single threaded and just won't be all that fast. Plus you don't have many clients.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
Thank you for the reply.
I had been using a raid1 with 3 1tb drives when the motherboard failed on my old server. I had been buying components to build a newer server with 3 1tb drives as well. When the failure made it difficult to retrieve my data I wanted something better. I read about FreeNAS and a friend is using a NAS system as well so I've got six drives to use. Also they were purchased @ 6 months apart as well as the two I just purchased on sale. The SSD for L2ARC is because I have several 80gb and a couple 120gb Intel drives available to try out. Was looking at an LSI9207-8i controller card but was told on this forum that the motherboard ports would work just fine for FreeNAS. What are your thoughts on using a controller card over motherboard ports?

JaimieV

Guru
Ports are ports. If they work, and they're fast enough (SATA1 is faster than HDDs, SATA2 or 3 for SSDs) then use 'em. If you want more internal ports, add a (supported) card - again, doesn't really matter what.
Also, eSATA ports are just a different shape, you can run an eSATA cable inside the case and use it for another internal drive if that makes the most sense.

Have fun with the build!

Remember that if the NAS is going to have unique data on, you'll want to have somewhere to backup to. RAID is not a backup, it's for availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.