Raid and drive configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neway

Cadet
Hi All.

Just started playing around with FreeNAS. It is nice.

Looking to setup a backup system and media/storage system.

Using a HP Proliant Microserver G7 N54L, HP have a cashback offer in the UK. :) Looking to buy a second unit so looking for some advice on the options that I am looking at trying. Looking at 2 units each with 4 X 3TB drives. Also going to up the RAM.

I want to run 2 units in 2 separate locations, on the same work site but in different buildings. Redundancy, security, etc. Looking at what I think are the two best options, given that Raid5/Raid-Z seems to have some failure issues on recovery. Thinking of either 6TB mirrored in a system and use 1 NAS for work, torrents and backups, and the other for media serving. Or the other option is 12TB JBOD and mirrored to the second system. My first preference was the 12TB JBOD setup but for the life of me I cannot work out, also not been on a *nix system for almost a decade, how to have an automated backup that scans the main NAS and duplicates on the backup one, ie scans for new files, changed files and deleted files and copies on to or deletes from the backup machine. Have looked at Snapshot but it doesn't quite seem to fit the bill. I know cronjobs can automate tasks, but been a while since I have played with this kind of stuff.

Both give the same amount of space but the 2 complete data sets in the 2 locations is the preference for data security. Though lawyers will have a backup on a portable drive of patents, and work docs, etc as an offsite data security option.

I can get a bit more space if I run RAID5/-Z on each and only backup critical files/directories, etc from the work machine to backup, but the talk of the RAID issues is a concern.

Have I read things wrong on ZFS issues and RAID5/-Z?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, and a big thanx to the FreeNAS guys for all the work they have done on this really nice piece of work. :)

Yatti420

Wizard
Raid-Z3 in both if possible would be what I would do if I could afford it..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't do RAIDZ1. As my sig(and prior users have demonstrated) its pretty dangerous.

They aren't speed demons. Many people use them, and they work well. But I don't think you're going to saturate Gb LAN with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.