Upgrading ZFS RAID-Z Size By Resilver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swat565

Dabbler
My question is fairly simple. Can you upgrade a Raid-z by pulling 1 drive, installing new (and bigger) drive, resilver, rinse/repeat untill all drives are replaced with 2TB?
Making a simple question shorter, upgrading a 3TB RAID-Z (x4 1TB) into a 6TB RAID-Z (x4 2TB)

I'm fairly sure this would work in theory, and have seen it done with some hardware RAID5 controller, but would like the re-assurance before making a purchase.

Thanks, and happy new year everyone!

Brand

Yes that is exactly how it would work. It would be a little time intensive and you would not have use of any of the extra storage until all drive were replaced but worth it in the end.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I will also note that it might be a little terrifying to lose your redundancy for the duration of this operation; be sure that you've done a scrub first to make sure there are no obvious avoidable issues with your existing drives.

Has anyone actually managed to complete an upgrade in this manner?

Brand

I have not had to but have known people who have. As far as redundancy goes thats why I only trust my data to a RAID-Z2 or RAID-Z3.

digitaltrash

Dabbler
This lady does it pretty nicely running solaris. I imagine FreeNAS is similar, with the exception of freeBSD disk naming conventions and list commands. ZFS commands should be the same. Correct me if I'm wrong (someone), but in the case of freeNAS specifically, you may need to restart it. It may also be useful to see question #4 here.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Saeed A Siddiki has 7 posts today, and 6 from yesterday, all asking the same question. Please, forum moderators, do something. This is just out of control. I thought I made it clear yesterday when I posted to all of his threads to stop, but he's back today.

He needs to be banned, prevented from posting, or something, until he understands that posting to multiple threads won't give you more answers. Not to mention that his question doesn't have much to do with the threads he's posting in.

Stephens

Patron
I reported his posts as spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.