RAID 10 - Probability Of Two Disks In Any Sub-Array (Mirrored RAID) Failing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhigham

Dabbler
Chart illustrating the probability of a two drive failure in a RAID 10 (striped RAID 1 sets) configuration being a mirrored pair.

In other words, if any two drives fail simultaneously, the chart below illustrates the probability that the two drives are a mirrored pair (RAID 1) of each other, thus resulting in complete loss of data.

2018-01-01_15-33-24.png

X axis = Total number of drives in RAID 10.

Disks Probability Of A Two Disk Failure Both Being In Any Sub-Array (Mirrored Pair)
4 33.3%
6 20.0%
8 14.3%
10 11.1%
12 9.1%
14 7.7%
16 6.7%

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have to disagree with this interpretation. Yes, the numbers are valid, but they're conditional to a dual failure. That's meaningless, because a dual failure increases in likelihood as the number of vdevs grows.

Arwen

MVP
I'd have to agree with @Ericloewe, if you started with 2 disks in a Mirror vDev, then grow it by adding pairs at a time, the chances of both older drives failing at the same time is higher. Especially during the replacement of the first failed drive.

If I was building a ZFS Mirrored Pool, I'd try to move the disks around as I added more. Meaning instead of just adding 2 disks as a new Mirrored vDev, I'd replace one of the older ones with a newer one, (unless the sizes differed). Then make the new Mirrored vDev from 1 old and 1 new disk. Complicated, and still requires you to have backups.

rs225

Guru
You reduce the odds of dual failure by regular scrubs, SMART tests, and notification. Instead of failures catching you by surprise, you see them coming.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Status
Not open for further replies.