Quick question about jails, docker and virtualization

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovizii

Patron
I'm on Freenas 11 and have a few pet projects I have been reluctant to implement / install as I was waiting to see where the integration/development of jails/docker/virtualization was going but time is getting short and I want to avoid going down the wrong road.

All of these projects could be implemented via docker but it does not seem like this is going go be the solution to use with Freenas anytime soon.

I could go ahead and install one of these projects into a jail and the other one into a VM and this would work perfectly.
I'm now wondering whether there are any major changes planned for the jails / virtualization implementation in Freenas which I should wait for or can I confidently go ahead?

kdragon75

Wizard
I'm now wondering whether there are any major changes planned for the jails / virtualization implementation in Freenas which I should wait for or can I confidently go ahead?
Well as long as your using iocage and are comfortable with troubleshooting bhyve from the command line, you should be able to manage. Personally, I would just use ESXi or KVM or QEMU or *vomits* HyperV *vomits more*

adrianwi

Guru
I'd just crack on, using the most appropriate tool for the job.

If it's available for FreeBSD, you're probably best trying to install in an iocage jail. If not, create an iohyve/bhyve Linux VM, install Docker and install there.

I'm using both (and a couple of old Warden Jails) without any problems at all :D

kdragon75

Wizard
I just advocate using a NAS as a NAS and a hypervisor as a hypervisor. Like you said, use the right tool for the job.

ovizii

Patron
I'm only talking about small web apps I will run for myself as the only user. Unfortunately one of them "need" linux as a basis hence me asking about virtualization. All other apps can run in a jail. Using a separate server for virtualization defeats the whole purpose of using my NAS for "small" apps.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I now need to read up on the situation of jails, aka warden / iocage as I haven't kept following the development.

kdragon75

Wizard
Going forward all jails will use iocage. There is a new section in the official doc on managing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.