Quick question about hard drive upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
So I have a buddy that has 7 1.5TB drives and 1 1TB drive and he's looking to upgrade his drives to all 2TB drives as soon as he can.
Is it possible to upgrade the drives one at a time and once the upgrade is complete configure the pools to expand and utilize the rest of the unused space or does RAIDz do this by default?

What is the best practice for hard drive changes/upgrades?

Kimba

Dabbler
So I have a buddy that has 7 1.5TB drives and 1 1TB drive and he's looking to upgrade his drives to all 2TB drives as soon as he can.
Is it possible to upgrade the drives one at a time and once the upgrade is complete configure the pools to expand and utilize the rest of the unused space or does RAIDz do this by default?

What is the best practice for hard drive changes/upgrades?

Yes it is, I have done it Twice.

Assuming 8.0.2 or greater.

First remove a drive and plug the larger drive.
Look at the Web Console giving you a flashy light you don't want to see outside of this process.
Go to Storage and from there you will find out which pool and examine the pool to find out which drive.
Select Replace Drive and click.
You will have to remove the old drive.

When the light turns green I believe you can do it again with another drive --- I always checked the monitor connected to the machine to verify it.

When you are all done you will need to reboot the NAS.

Enjoy the new larger size.

Visseroth

Guru
Very nice, good to know and I'll be sure to do a scrub on the pool prior to upgrades. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.