Quick help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrench

Cadet
I got a retired server

I have 4 X 500g drives and 2 X 160. I need NFS whats the best setup?

ZFS
3X500gig ZFS
2X160 Log
1X500 GIG cache

or 4X500 ZFS
2X160 LOG?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Wrench,

I wouldn't try to use any of your hard disks for cache, you want SSD's or RAM disks for the ZIL and L2ARC caches. I would do your second choice above, ZFS config as needed, test it then get some more RAM.

-Will

Wrench

Cadet
I got 8 gigs of ram and dual core cpu.

Now if I got to setup 4 X 500 gig zfs (also gives me an option for zfs2)whats the diff between zfs and zfs2

When setting up the drives I should use the wizzard to setup the two log drives? or do hardware raid and then add those to the the log? If I get 100 mb/s I will be more then happy.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Wrench,

You have probably maxed out the mobo on RAM, so there's nothing to be done or complain about there!

Raidz is like RAID-5, raidz2 is like RAID-6....Raidz will give you the aggregate capacity of all the drives minus the capacity of 1 drive which is used for parity information, raidz2 uses the capacity of 2 drivers for parity.

Once again, I don't think you want to use the 2 160's for cache or logging. They will be just as slow as the drives you are caching. Don't take my word for it though, set it up and do some benchmarks and confirm for yourself.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.