BUILD Quick check of small office build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harsesis

Explorer
Hi,

I'm currently planing a new smaller build and I would appriciate some thoughts of you about it. I mostly use parts from the recommended list, but still would like to have a more expirienced user have a look on it!

The current build looks like:
Mainboard: Supermicro X10SLL-F
Memory: 2x Samsung 8GB M391B1G73QH0-YK0 (from the SM compatibility list)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (already exists)
Power Supply: Seasonic G-450
System Drive: 2x SanDisk Cruzer fit 16GB USB Sticks
HDD: not sure yet, 4x 2TB WD Red
CPU: Intel Pentium G3260

As mainboard i also looked for the X9SMC-F, but it is just 10-20 bucks less here so I thought the X10 is the better choice.

The system will be used in a small office with 5-6 people accessing mostly smb shares. I'm unsure which CPU to use. I guess the G3220 would be enough for the build, but using compression would be nice as the majority of the stored files will be text-files. So better go with the much more expensive Xeon?

Last edited:
Even with compression you shouldn't need a Xeon for the workload you are showing. You would only need the Xeon if you were going to do encryption.

Everything looks ok to me though I have NO CLUE about the PSU, there are so many out there. With four drives it should be ok though for output though.

Drives is the part you need to think about. There are a lot of options to do. Two mirrored drives would give you one drives worth of storage and the ability to have one drive fail. Two mirrored striped pairs(four drives) would give some speed and ability to have one drive on either pair fail but not both drives on one mirrored pair. Or 4 drives in raidZ2, you would have the capacity of two drives but ANY two drives could fail and data would not be lost. Each has it's own advantage and disadvantage so you have to weigh the options.

If you have nothing now then anything is an upgrade, I would say with a business you're probably more worried about keeping things safe than speed at this point and with the number of users unless they are hammering the storage all the time with big files they should be basically unaware, so raidZ2 would be my suggestion. So if you get 2TB drives you will have ~4TB of space and any two drives will be able to fail without data loss. With 4TB drives you would have ~8tb of space.

Harsesis

Explorer
Even with compression you shouldn't need a Xeon for the workload you are showing. You would only need the Xeon if you were going to do encryption.

I was just wondering about the compression as it was mentioned in the hardware recommendation thread about this CPU. I'm not planning to do anything with encryption on that build!

Everything looks ok to me though I have NO CLUE about the PSU, there are so many out there. With four drives it should be ok though for output though.

I hope it is fine to use as i already have it :).

Drives is the part you need to think about. There are a lot of options to do. Two mirrored drives would give you one drives worth of storage and the ability to have one drive fail. Two mirrored striped pairs(four drives) would give some speed and ability to have one drive on either pair fail but not both drives on one mirrored pair. Or 4 drives in raidZ2, you would have the capacity of two drives but ANY two drives could fail and data would not be lost. Each has it's own advantage and disadvantage so you have to weigh the options.

If you have nothing now then anything is an upgrade, I would say with a business you're probably more worried about keeping things safe than speed at this point and with the number of users unless they are hammering the storage all the time with big files they should be basically unaware, so raidZ2 would be my suggestion. So if you get 2TB drives you will have ~4TB of space and any two drives will be able to fail without data loss. With 4TB drives you would have ~8tb of space.

Yeah thought about the same options. I'm still not sure about simple 2 drive mirror or 4 drive raidZ2. But i think the power supply should be sufficient for 4 drives (or even some more), so I will deicde on this when the rest ist "approved" :).[/QUOTE]

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Unless you want to use gzip at its max level, with default compression (lz4) Pentium will be fine.

4 drives in a RAID-Z2 pool seems the best choice for your usage.

I recommend to not use this PSU (even in a desktop...) and get a good quality PSU at least 80+ Gold certified, like a SeaSonic one (for example the G-360 would be perfect given the load) ;)

Last edited:

Harsesis

Explorer
Is the certification the only argument against the beQuite supply? It is a 80+ gold supply.... :p

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
It's a beQuiet PSU and the last review I saw (and what I know of this brand) doesn't instill a lot of confidence... I looked for a review of this one and what I found is that it's better than what I think (but same corners cuts I saw in the review of the other beQuiet PSU: no fuse, 85 °C rated crappy chinese caps, bad regulation and high ripple, ...), I would (maybe) use it in a desktop, but definitely not in a server (especially an enterprise server).

Edit: I talk about the other PSU in this thread: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/my-cheap-28-watt-setup-for-home-users.38614/

Last edited:

Harsesis

Explorer
OK thanks for the explaination, I will consider buying a New one than!

Edit:
Maybe I will use my g-450 out of my current home build and extent that one to a g-650 (currently 12 drives, case ready for 20).

Response to your edit:
OK I See... I had the belief that beQuite is a trustworthy PSU builder. Did not wanted to cheap out on the PSU but have 3 of them leying around here so... [emoji14]

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I don't put much faith in the brand of PSU either. :P

Harsesis

Explorer
Oh when also you do not trust them, than I will definitely invest in a new one... So the others will stay on the stack for something else :D

I will change first post regardingly. So if the rest is fine I think the build is quite finished :)

Last edited:
I will change first post regardingly. So if the rest is fine I think the build is quite finished :)

Looks good, just get your drives figured out but then again you know what you need to do there.

Harsesis

Explorer
I just rechecked the CPUs. Is there any reason against using the Intel Pentium G3260 instead of the G3220? Its the same price but offers a bit more performance.

Also is there a mayor differance between the Supermicro X10SLL+-F and the X10SLL-F (without +)? The model without + is 30 bucks less and the only differance I can See is a differtent LAN controller?

Edit: Sorry answered the questions myself using the forum. The CPU was used in this thread and found the answer about the regarding the mainboard in the supermicro x10 thread. I dont need the extra USB 3.0 ports so I will go with the cheaper X10SLL-F

Edit2: I was wrong with the differeneces of the mainboard, the Nic is indeed the main difference not the USB. Should have read the linked post correctly...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.