Questions about starting on FreeNas 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bxtreme

Dabbler
Hi everyone. I'm not new to FreeNAS, but my last FreeNAS box was pretty old. So my main question is if there is anything that sounds like an issue with this build (hardware) and software configuration choices.

I dont have the exact specs, but here it goes:
1x Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz
1x ASRock H67M-GE (B3)
16 GB DDR3 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series
2x Rosewill RC-400 Networking LAN (10/ 100/ 1000Mbps)
3x Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Seagate - ST3000DM001
- URL to product description: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-148-844
1x Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III Asynchronous MLC (SSD)
-For OS of course

I plan on using raidz to take advantage of the ZFS.

Is there any problem using these drives? I am hearing things about TLER being good in NAS systems, but it doesn't matter if I use RAIDZ right? The raid configuration should take care of any corruptions?
Also, anyone familiar with the automated SMART email notification? I'm wondering if I will know about any data corruption and if FreeNAS was able to recover from it.

Thanks for any advice / answers to my questions!

Bxtreme

Dabbler
Anyone? I would at least like to know if that HDD is a good choice for the system in RAIDZ.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You'd be alot better to say exactly what motherboard, CPU, NIC, etc you are using. Saying "2x Rosewill Gigabit NIC" provides zero help if I want to see if your card is compatible.

Those hard drives are fine, and 16GB of RAM is a good amount, but that's all the input I can give since you gave no other specifics.

Bxtreme

Dabbler
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know the parts are compatible with each other. This system is currently running. I am buying the new HDD's and throwing FreeNAS 8 on it. I will post the specific parts.

I am more concerned about the Hardrives working well in RAIDZ (since they don't have TLER) and how the SMART notifications work. I've never had a HDD in a NAS fail or get corrupted. So I wasn't sure about the recovery process and if FreeNAS will inform me about it.

coperant

Cadet
i have probleme with installation freenas v 8.3
i download the image and burn in a cdrom
when i starting the computer , it but in a cd rom but afer presenting me the option of boot 1 to 6 the systeme write not kernel found
i tried to chose any number beteewn on to 6 but no success

cyberjock

Inactive Account
coperant - Please stop cross-posting. Read my post in the other thread you posted in. /sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.