Question Troubleshooting RAM error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathgeek

Dabbler
Hi all:

I just put together my second FreeNAS system (X10SRL, E5-1620, 2x Samsung 32GB DDR4 from compatibility list, all in a 4u chassis). Other than the RAM, the configuration is essentially the same as my other system. Out of the box on boot I received a "Failing DIMM: DIMM location. (Uncorrectable memory component found) (DIMMB1)" error. I swapped the dimms between DIMMA1 and DIMMB1 and the error stays with DIMMB1.

Wanted to confirm that this is adequate to trace the error to the system board and exclude the RAM. At this point, is it worth further troubleshooting or should I RMA the board? I know some equipment arrives DOA, but this would be my first experience with it, hence the caution.

Thanks for all your help,

Anand

Alecmascot

Guru
To be sure put the ram in one at a time in each slot, though you may be restricted by having to populate a particular slot.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
It can be the CPU, did you test it on the other MB too?

Mathgeek

Dabbler
I did not consider that. I will test that as well.

Thank you for pointing that out.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Also don't forget about the power supply as a possible cause. It is easier to swap out a power supply than a CPU so maybe you can do this first.

Also, inspect the CPU socket pins in the suspect motherboard, ensure all is looking proper, inspect the bottom of the motherboard as well to ensure there are no shorted connections from the underside. You could remove the MB and place it on a piece of paper/cardboard (something not metal/conductive) and try to power it up as well. And test with a minimal configuration (MB, CPU, RAM).

Mathgeek

Dabbler
Thanks for all the advice. The error happened when tested on the bench and I purchased a replacement motherboard which is now testing fine (CPU and memory testing of rig are complete). Interesting lesson on this build - the motherboard was faulty and 2 10gb NICs that I purchased used did not work. Buyer beware...

Status
Not open for further replies.