Question regarding conflict of interest in the administration of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borja Marcos

Contributor
Yes, I understood that :) What I mean is that despite of that they offer an excellent support to users of FreeNAS who have purchased absolutely nothing from them.

.... I think a lot of them would be better served by using a wiki. Working documents if you will, as a supplement to the actual guide.

A community Wiki is an interesting idea. I've been authoring lots of stickies which are effectively similar to Wiki content.

I think a Wiki would be a great idea. It would take a lot of effort creating one and it needs some serious moderation though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
More than a wiki or whatever, we really need some way of organizing the ever-growing number of stickies - be it a wiki, a forum plugin or whatever.

Help & Support / Hardware, for instance, on my 2560x1440 monitor, fills half the screen with stickies. People with 1080 lines probably get 3-4 posts besides stickies and people with 720/768 lines must see only stickies!
And one of the stickies, the X10 FAQ, is mostly a glorified index of Supermicro X10 guides.

I'm actually curious what a moderator's screen/dashboard looks like

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm actually curious what a moderator's screen/dashboard looks like

To a moderator, there is almost no difference in what the forums look like. We just have access to the administrator area where we can make permissions changes and stuff, but you've never seen those pages and you can't really "view" the forums from the administrator area.

Wow... That makes moderating a hell of a job then, right? Ploughing through the whole forum everytime to see what is happening.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Wow... That makes moderating a hell of a job then, right? Ploughing through the whole forum everytime to see what is happening.

Basically, yep.

If I want to be thorough, then I either:

1. Read every post and every thread myself.
2. Rely on people to "report" bad behavior, spam, etc (which gets a special mailbox and alert when moderators log in)
3. Both.

The mods can't rely on reporting problems because there are a lot of sensitives that report because someone said to read the manual section x.y and they want the answer cut/pasted for them. So they report someone for being "less than useful". Still others drop the f-bomb and other colorful vocabulary and nobody bats an eye.

Spam is usually report on, which is good news for us.

So (how) do moderators divide that work? I expect not everyone is (trying to) moderate the compete forum.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So (how) do moderators divide that work? I expect not everyone is (trying to) moderate the compete forum.

We don't. If someone catches a problem and feels like fixing it, they do.

If they don't feel like fixing it (or feel like someone else should weigh in), or doesn't see the problem (for example, if they don't log in) then someone else (hopefully) finds and fixes it.

If your really curious about the moderation stuff you can try a free demo on XenForo's site. https://xenforo.com/
Yeah, i already tried that. Totally empty demo. No threads or posts, no users.... meh....

jgreco

Resident Grinch
2. Rely on people to "report" bad behavior, spam, etc (which gets a special mailbox and alert when moderators log in)

Yeah, the moderator alert bar stopped working for me a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.