Question: Changing permission recursively & the performace lag mentioned in manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDPsGM

Explorer
Section Table 6.3e: Options When Changing Permissions in the Manual for release 8.3.0

In the table Under:

"Set permission recursively"

is says:

if checked, permissions will also apply to subdirectories of the volume or dataset; if data already exists on the volume/dataset, it is recommended to instead change the permissions recursively on the client side to prevent a performance lag on the FreeNAS® system

Is that performance lag permanent or is it just while files and directory settings are changed?
.... and I am a little confused by what is meant by "on the client side", could someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
Is that performance lag permanent or is it just while files and directory settings are changed?
.... and I am a little confused by what is meant by "on the client side", could someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Its just while the permissions are changing and is only temporary. You might not even notice it if you don't have many files.

From the client side means for example if you have your files shared with NFS and you change the permissions from a Linux system that has that share mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.