Query on Zpool Extending

StonedFish

Cadet
Hey Guys

looking for some advice on extending my pool.

I have 6 x 2TB Sata HDD's in 1 vdev @ Raid Z1 (so if i loose a drive i am still covered until i get it replaced) and i am running low on space, i have purchased another 3 x 2TB Sata HDD's, is it possible to add these extra 3 drives to my existing pool @ Raid Z1 (do not have enough space to add 6 new drives) , but i get the warning 'WARNING: Adding data vdevs with different numbers of disks is not recommended. First vdev has 6 disks, new vdev has 3'.

I am checking with you experts first to see if it ok to do this

Regards

Mike

MotherBoard : Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3 socket 1155 (replaced previous motherboard)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 cores)
8GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
8GB Kingston DataTraveler (will be upgrading to a 256GB SSD Drive)
750w Power Supply
FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Yes, it's possible. But the UI has correctly informed you it's not recommended configuration. There's nothing stopping you from doing this.

StonedFish

Cadet
Hey m0nkey_

thanks for getting back to me on this, so tonight i was going ahead and creating the extension for my vdev, but unfortunately the system will not let me create this extension, any help on why it is not letting me would be much appreciated.

Mike

diedrichg

Wizard
You can only have a vdev of 6 and a vdev of 3, you can't have a vdev of 9 by adding the 3 to the existing 6.