Extending Encrypted Volume on 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

p274868

Dabbler
I was in the process of extending my 12x 4TB drive RAID-Z3 vdev with an additional 12x3tb drives and received the following error during the expansion. I know when extending and encrypted vdev resets the pass phrase and recovery key (which is also found in the FREENAS 9.3 documentation). Right after expanding the vdev the volume manager window hung for about 5 minutes and the following window appeared in the screen shot below. I assume that this is representative of the pass phrase not being present on the additional 12 drives that I just added? After this I immediately went to Storage => Volumes "Change Passphrase", "Download Key", "Add Recovery Key". Is this the only 3 steps needed to get the passphrase and keys on the new drives? Also when extending a volume is the "Encryption Re-key" equivalent to "Change Passphrase" if i plan on using the same passphrase on the new drives?

The specs of my system are:
SuperMicro H8DME-2 motherboard
SuperMicro SuperChassis 846TQ-R900B
32GB of ECC Ram
2 x Six-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2419 (12 Cores Total)
3 x AOC-SAT2-MV8 Controller Cards
12 x 4TB Seagate Hard Drives RAID-Z3
(Recently extended to addtional 12x3TB)
currently on 9.3 Stable

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 228

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is this the only 3 steps needed to get the passphrase and keys on the new drives?

Yep.

Also when extending a volume is the "Encryption Re-key" equivalent to "Change Passphrase" if i plan on using the same passphrase on the new drives?

I'm not even going to hypothesize what goes on "behind the WebGUI cloak". Not an encryption wizard. But if you are a coder you are welcome to look at the code and figure it out. You may also find geli documentation that explains things. Just keep in mind that things may change without warning in geli, so whatever you read, if it's older than a year, may not be accurate.

p274868

Dabbler
Thank you for the response cyberjock. I was alittle reluctant to reboot the server until I was sure that the encryption keys were added to the additional drives. Did not want to run into issues with unlocking the zpool after rebooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.