Quanta S210-X22RQ

da_am

Cadet
Hi all,
I'm looking at upgrading from a Dell t20 to something with more room. I've spent a couple of weeks wondering around ebay and found this Quanta server: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quanta-S21...AOSw~jJcx3bK:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!60417!US!-1

It's about $60 cheaper than the low side of my budget which would be ok to use the extra to buy a HBA card and an expander. I have no knowledge of "real" server hardware and the machine seems a bit cheap / too good to be true compared to kind of similar systems.

Is it a terrible build? Caveats? I'm looking for a medium range power consumption server with older hardware.
Thanks!

artlessknave

Wizard
can't rate the hardware directly (i have quanta switches and their best point was they were dirt cheap, one has barely functional, apparently demo, firmware) but it's only a few generations old processor-wise. the quanta stuff seems to be bulk produced...and bulk replaced. very proprietary, hard to find documentation/specs/parts.
note that there is no memory, so you would need to buy at least some.
it doesn't specify if the backplane is direct attach or expander, it looks like both are possible going from the manual i found.
it IS pretty cheap though.

da_am

Cadet
The hard to find replacement /proprietary parts was what I was afraid of. I was hoping it was just off the shelf stuff. Thanks for the link, very helpful. I searched the forum here but there is a lot of noise on google when you search quanta, ha. Good call on the ram - I could have sworn it came with 16gb or something. Ebay fatigue...

I might keep looking. The Dell R510 is catching my eye too. So many choices!
Thanks!