QNAP TS-228A vs a FreeNAS build?

I need some simple backup for backing up a server. And maybe have some music/video on it. So I was thinking of using a QNAP TS-228A with 2x3TB or 4TB disk. But is it possible to build a cheaper system with FreeNAS?

I have a supermicro 24x hotswap system at home with FreeNAS, therefor I would prefer to use FreeNAS, but not sure if its the right to use in this setting.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So I was thinking of using a QNAP TS-228A with 2x3TB or 4TB disk. But is it possible to build a cheaper system with FreeNAS?
No. The QNAP TS-228A is under $200 without disks, you can't build FreeNAS compatible hardware for that price.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I have a supermicro 24x hotswap system at home with FreeNAS, therefor I would prefer to use FreeNAS, but not sure if its the right to use in this setting.
It can be used, but you will need more expensive hardware to be able to run FreeNAS.

rvassar

Guru
Oddly enough... A QNAP TS-228 (Not the improved A model) was my home NAS last year, prior to starting to dabble with FreeNAS. I'll go so far as to say it is the reason I started casting about, looking for a better solution. It was slow, it had a clunky UI, horrible NFS, and the drives always ran way too hot...

Which isn't to say it won't suit your needs... But I'd suggest one of the other models, perhaps the 231?

Having used various QNAPs for some time now for mainly backup servers and since Apple stopped supporting their server software, find the Synology OS much more flexible than QNAP for both backups and production. Also, use one of them to run the DHCP & DNS for the office with the idea I'll migrate the Apple mail server over shortly.