Qdisk on FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I realize my question is not entirely about FreeNAS, but I hope somebody may have tried it same way and won't mind to share some experience.
I'm trying to set up a cluster installation including two hypervisor (Proxmox, namely) nodes and a FreeNAS NFS share. Then, according to this article I'm trying to implement quorum disk using FreeNAS iSCSI and it seems it lacks the essential command mkqdisk and there's no cman package in FreeBSD at all.
So, does it mean qdisk is impossible to create? 'Cause Google seems to disagree (I've found this or that, for example). Maybe it's enough just to tell cluster config about the iSCSI target with no spesial mkqdisk (didn't try yet, will do)? Or is there a way to install linux cman on FreeBSD (I'm quite a n00b about BSD and don't know whether such things are possible).

Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm somewhat new to FreeBSD(only been using it about a year).

I'd say that you should try this:

1. Install FreeBSD 8.3 and see if it exists. If not, try 9.0(or the current 9.1 build since its not official yet).
2. If it doesn't exist, then I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon unless you port it yourself. Any questions or requests should go to the FreeBSD forum and their ticket system.
3. If it does exist I'd wager that installing it is not going to be easy. FreeNAS uses 99% of the space on the USB stick, so you likely won't have enough space to install it. Even if you could install it, any FreeNAS update you install will remove it.
4. If it does exist and you aren't happy with #3, you could put in a ticket for it. But don't expect a quick turnaround since our developers are very busy and have to prioritize their work.

Letni

Explorer
Mkqdisk should be run on your Linux nodes running the virtualization against the iSCSI device you are presenting from FreeNAS. That command is a Linux command to be run against a SAN (Fiberchannel/iSCSI) presented LUN from nodes of the cluster, which FreeNAS is not a part of. The command will not be in FreeNAS CLI as FreeNAS itself doesnt support clustering ( MSN/quorum/etc) and makes sense since FreeNAS doesn't directly access the volume presented through iSCSI.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
i just configured a 2 node cluster last week of PVE2.2

you dont need the quorum disk for a basic cluster. just make sure your switch/network supports multicasting.

Thanks, Letni, that's me being sloppy. For anyone else, all that's required to make quorum disk is to create an iSCSI device in FreeNAS, the rest of the work is done on the nodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.