puzzling networking behavior

hescominsoon

Patron
I read the documentation where it says you cnanot have more than one interface per subnet. However, if i set physical interface 0 to 192.168.255.5/24 I can then set interface 1 to dhcp and it gets an ipaddress on the same subnet. So if that's the case why am i not able to set two interfaces on the same subnet statically if it will do wt with one of them static and one dhcp?

The system has a single global host name. Which one of those names would correlate to which IP address? It just confuses a lot of things when you have multiple IP interfaces on the same network. You can do a LAGG to get multiple physical interfaces for things like NFS or CIFS. I don't use iSCSI, but I understand that it prefers multiple interfaces on the storage network. I guess that is the big thing. Multiple IP addresses on different NIC's on CIFS/NFS client facing networks is where things get confused. I have never done it because it seemed like the wrong way to go. I use higher bandwidth interfaces (40G or 10G) or a LAGG when I want more bandwidth on a network segment.

hescominsoon

Patron
I figured it out. i went to the physical console..deleted all interfaces..then created the lagg and assiggned the static ip to the lagg. its working perfectly on both interfaces. It seems if you want to lagg do it from the console and do not use the gui at all..it prevents the very confusion you are referring to above..:)