Putty over SSH lags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

Wizard
These past few weeks I have been using Putty to access my Freenas machine over the network under SSH.
I have noticed that Putty would occasionally lag or freeze when I am typing commands. I would be typing but the display would remain unresponsive for maybe 10-20 seconds. There would simply be no echo. However the test I would have type would be revealed once the lag disappear.
I don't know the reason for this behavior and don't know what to look for.
I do use Notepad++ with a few open files that are on the Freenas box and do notice some freeze as well, though I don't know if they are related.
I have no issues with my network I am aware of.
My Freenas system is perfectly operational and load is barely registering. When I do perform file transfer I do not experience any noticeable issues.
I do not exclude my Windows machine to be the cause of it.
Any leads I could follow in order to trace the issue?

Bmck26

Dabbler
Apollo, did you determine the cause of this? I'm having the same issue except I'm using Bitvise instead of Putty. The lag gets worse if I try to use my laptop over wifi to the point that the connection times out and I get a socket read error. The only thing that I can figure that I changed was adding a new netgear GSS116E 16 port switch and setup a 4 port lagg0.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Unless the FreeNAS is in a large multiple client environment (more than 10 users), lagg is not doing anything for you

Apollo

Wizard
Apollo, did you determine the cause of this? I'm having the same issue except I'm using Bitvise instead of Putty. The lag gets worse if I try to use my laptop over wifi to the point that the connection times out and I get a socket read error. The only thing that I can figure that I changed was adding a new netgear GSS116E 16 port switch and setup a 4 port lagg0.
Yes I did.
Unless due to a different cause, I had my Freenas box use the Link Aggregation (two of the network adapter on my X10SL7-F) for redundancy.
Under 9.2, I think it was referrenced as LAGG, but I could be mistaken.

Since reverting to single connection I have not experience this behavior.

Bmck26

Dabbler
Yes I did.
Unless due to a different cause, I had my Freenas box use the Link Aggregation (two of the network adapter on my X10SL7-F) for redundancy.
Under 9.2, I think it was referrenced as LAGG, but I could be mistaken.

Since reverting to single connection I have not experience this behavior.

What model network switch are you using if you don't mind me asking? I'm using a 4 port link aggregation on my netgear switch for the extra bandwidth since I have multiple devices that could be streaming HD content at the same time plus accessing files on my desktop. I'm wondering if the model of switch has anything to do latency issue while using a SSH connection. Everything seems to be working properly when I check the port activity on the switch.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't think the op was referring to lagg. I think he meant there is high latency between him and freenas.

I would start with a ping and iperf test. Looking for lost packets and high latency.

Apollo

Wizard
What model network switch are you using if you don't mind me asking? I'm using a 4 port link aggregation on my netgear switch for the extra bandwidth since I have multiple devices that could be streaming HD content at the same time plus accessing files on my desktop. I'm wondering if the model of switch has anything to do latency issue while using a SSH connection. Everything seems to be working properly when I check the port activity on the switch.
My switch doesn't support link aggregation I think, but I was able to run network failover. I was testing this by unplugging one of the network cable and it seemed to work.
During the latency issues, I could perform transfer at Gbit speed whit no issues. Only keyboard echo was the visible issue, so I doubt packet drop was really the issue. I suspect Freenas didn't know which network adapter to answer to but then it would have been packet lost for sure with no echo at all, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.