Public upload & data repository

rwslippey

Contributor
Good morning,

The title's probably useless in explaining what I want to do here so here it goes.

I'm working with an individual on a project to collect and begin building a repository of images and video, both past and present, to preserve the history of our organization. His role is more of the social media end of it and getting people to share our organization for recruiting reasons, my role is the data archival. I'm a photographer in addition to my full time role at this organization, so I intend to begin building in the images this individual provides into a well organized data store of the images, video, and whatever else we might find.

To start off, there is absolutely no chance of the employer hosting these images at all, security reasons, although there are times I think I take security more seriously than they do but that's a discussion for another day.

What I've been thinking is, I'd like to setup a way for everyone at our organization, to be able to upload images/video to my freenas box so that I can then move them into our catalog (I use capture one pro and I'm so happy I didn't say lightroom anymore!)

On the back end I'd like to offer a way for him to be able to see (with thumbnails, any of the photos uploaded)

At first I was thinking I'd want an folder for just me and the other guy to work with, but , I don't know if we'll need it, if everybody is uploading anyway.

So the two kind of requirements are, I'd like it to be easy to use and be somewhat secure and by secure I mean not exposing my box to any threats but also not leading me to a bunch of bogus file uploads that I'd have to sift through (spam).

In the past I've used dropbox and one of their file share features where you can send out a link and allow anyone to upload but it's kind of a pain to use from a cell phone and it's frustrating to have to wait for everything to move over to the NAS for me to work on it, as that's where I do all of my work on the files. I'd rather the upload just need to take place once.

So the real requirements are, somewhat secure, reliable, easy to use (for non geeks). I don't think a vpn would fit this bill, I use openvpn with my network, but, I'm not too interested in opening up that much of my nas to this guy (I trust the guy, but not necessarily his phone)

Any thoughts?

blanchet

Guru
Install NextCloud in a jail. Create a share receive the photo, then move them to another share to publish them as read-only.
Unlike Dropbox, you can retrieve directly the photos with a script in the data folder (because you manage the server), and then you can move them to another folder.