PSU and long power cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumee

Explorer
Hello,
I bought a Rosewill RSV-L4500 which can house 15 drives. In addition the chassis needs power for 8 fans via molex. So the total ports which need to be powered are 23. The PSU (Seasonic SSR-550RM) I have only has 4 ports to provide power.

Can you suggest me what cables do i need to power 23 devices or if I need a new PSU?

System specs: Motherboad: Supermicro X10SL7-F
Cpu:Xeon 1231v3
Ram:32GB
Hdd:15WD Red 4TB
Graphics:Onboard Vga
Fans: 6 120mm, 2 80mm

Sometime back i came across a webpage specifying good and bad molex to sata splitters. Cant find it now. Does anybody know that page.

Is there a PSU with long sata power cables (more than 50 inch)?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

Dice

Wizard

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Can you please link an 'approved' sata splitter?
Or what is a decently proper way to power 20 drives?

For 20 drives, you want someone to actually make you the appropriate wiring harnesses based on what's available from your PSU and what won't kill it, burn out a connector, or cause a fire.

THOSE LAST THREE WORDS ARE NOT A JOKE.

jgreco

Resident Grinch

Yeah, the moddiy thing may be okay if the wire is sized to handle 10 amps on the 12V, and I'm struggling to remember what the Molex is rated (guessing sufficient).

@jgreco, any suggestion of an online shop which can do this?

I'm sorry, no. We have a fully stocked electronics shop here and we just make what we need. My best suggestion for this has always been to go find a local electronics shop with some friendly guys, you can probably bribe them with a case of beer and whatever the cost of the parts are to make you a properly engineered cable. Some of us actually find this to be mindless, pleasant work to do.

Dice

Wizard
I'm aware of heating hazards stemming from inappropriate wire gauge and lacking connectivity.
Obviously there are better and worse solutions to purchase online, or build/rebuild.
I asked since there ought to be some sort of 'idea' of what products have better odds than others.
What I've figured out from the forum does not extend beyond 'get molex -> sata splitters; don't get Sata -> sata splitters'.
Some 'op' probably have a 'url' in store for the hdd hungry ;)

Last edited:

trumee

Explorer
I am willing to change the PSU if somebody has a recommendation where molex/sata connectors are not required and the cables are long enough for my rosewill chassis.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, the moddiy thing may be okay if the wire is sized to handle 10 amps on the 12V, and I'm struggling to remember what the Molex is rated (guessing sufficient).
Nominally 15A, but Molex doesn't seem to have anything beyond 9A on their website. Someone else should, though.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Nominally 15A, but Molex doesn't seem to have anything beyond 9A on their website. Someone else should, though.

Well, you've gotta go with what the lesser contacts might actually be rated. I was thinking it'd be just barely enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.