Power supply cabeling issues - Advice and suggestions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
I bought the Evga supernova g2 650w for my build and it seems solid enough at first. However , I had done some poor research, as it appeared that it does not mesh well with my selected case.
(Reviewed, pictured and described here )

As some of you know, The Fractal Node 804 houses its disks in 2 four-drive cages suspeded in the ceiling of the case. As Is , the default cables for sata drive power are structured n a 3*3 setup and it does not seem possible due to space to fit 3 of the cables to the drives in the cages.

Additionally I'd like to power and SSD boot drive, ans down the line, 4 PWM-fans (Moslt likely noctuna ones, replaceng the stock fans, and the cpu cooler.
Since I am a bit more newbie at this then I'd like, I felt I wanted to ask the forum for advice.
What are my options?
Those I can see so far:
Change PSU: I might dtill be able to get my money back, if I return this now, and by another. Perhaps corsair RM650X. (Seasonics stuff is hard to come by at sane prices here sadly)
Alternativly, could/should I use a molex to sata adapter? Are molex to sata 1 -to-2 viable, or should stick to 1-to-1?
Can I use the Connectors labled VGA for this purpose somehow?

Any adviec will be greatly appriciated.
Thank you in advance

Stux

MVP
Molex can supply significantly more juice than a Sata power connector.

It should be safe to run four drives off a single molex connector. But you can only run 2 drives off a single Sata connector.

Of course, this doesn't mean that if you have a peripheral cable with four molex connectors you can run 16 drives on it ;)

Try to balance out the runs. Try to use connectors closer to the psu in preference to ones further away

As an example:

I run 3 molex cables from my psu.i connect the first two molex connectors on each run to my backplanes.

Each backplane supports 4 drives.

So 8 drives per run. No more than 4 drives hanging off a single molex connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.