Proper Procedure To Add RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
So I setup my first FreeNAS box about a month ago and did so with only 1x4GB of RAM, as I was waiting on the new RAM to arrive. Once the new (2x8GB)RAM arrived I shut down the box, swapped out the RAM, ran memtest86 overnight, then just rebooted the FreeNAS box and went on like nothing happened. My question is: should I have done something in FreeNAS before or after the RAM upgrade, like AutoTune or something? I am particularly curious since I started with less than the required minimum RAM for FreeNAS, as well as going from single channel to dual channel. Note also that this is a temporary FreeNAS box, being used as a Network Video Recorder until I can afford better hardware. As such, I'm not really concerned about data loss.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
No, you don't need to do anything else ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No operating system on earth (that is reasonably modern and not subject to weird licensing) cares if you add RAM.

Running auto tune before adding RAM would hobble you with limitations meant to make the system more stable on the old amount of RAM.

paylesspizzaman

Explorer
That was kind of my concern, since when I installed FreeNas the machine only had 4GB. I thought maybe, upon installation, FreeNAS sets up optimum software values for the hardware it is installed on. If that is the case, I wasn't sure FreeNAS would update the software settings on it's own, just by me installing more RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.