Proper method for loading driver modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasnoob

Cadet
I'm attempting to use FreeNAS 8.0.3 (FreeBSD 8.2) with a AMCC 9550SX Raid controller. The RAID is not being recognized, just the individual drives. My best guess is that FreeNAS is missing a driver. From my research I've found that the drivers are included in FreeBSD 8.2 but not active by default. I'd like to alter the "loader.conf" file to to load the module
( twa_load="YES" ) but whenever I try I'm told that the file system is read-only. I've learn from reading this forum that that is standard and normal for FreeNAS. I'm wondering if there is a recommend script / method for loading this module during the boot process. Any help would be appreciated.

More info on the driver:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=twa&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-RELEASE

nasnoob

Cadet
After further research I've discovered the 'System -> Loader' section of the GUI I've entered:

Variable: twa_load
Value: YES
Comment: RAID Driver

Hoping it would do the same thing as ( twa_load="YES" ) appended to the loader.conf file.
after rebooting it still isn't recognizing the 18TB RAID5. Just each individual drive.

What else should I try? I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to *nix systems.

nasnoob

Cadet
I've also used this method

mount -rw /
nano /boot/loader.conf

The file write was successful but there was no change in the issue.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
modules are not included in freenas image, you must manually copy them from a freebsd 8.2 install to /boot/modules

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
However, the twa module is already built-in for freenas... so if that doesnt work for you that just means your controller does not work with that module for now...

nasnoob

Cadet
How similar is the wta module to the twa module that the manufacturer recommends? My FreeBSD is in progress. Should I bother with trying the twa_ module from there? Or is this just unsupported hardware?

nasnoob

Cadet
I've downloaded the FreeBSD 8.2 iso. The /boot/module directory is empty in both the .iso and in the install I've completed. Does it only decompress / load the modules it needs for the hardware it sees? Because I did the install in a virtual environment.

nasnoob

Cadet
More clues. In my /dev/boot there is twa0 and twa1. Which makes sense one is the RAID controller that is recognized properly. The other must be the RAID controller that is not recognized properly? Neither of them come up in the FreeNAS GUI. Just da1-da11. In a similar machine with a similar RAID controller that is running FreeNAS just fine it's RAID is listed as aacd1. I guess it wouldn't matter because it's not exactly the same hardware. sigh.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Are you going to use ZFS?

If so i think you should just export the disks in the controller in JBOD mode and let ZFS handle the disks and use raidz...

nasnoob

Cadet
Thanks again for you interest and help. On the other FreeNAS machine I have set up I don't remember choosing ZFS or UFS. It doesn't have a volumes at all, active or defined. All I did was add a device extent and chose the Raided pool of hard drives. From there once the iSCSI connection was made, the client machine was able to used that disc space (i believe it's formatted as NTFS from that view of things). Can you tell me more about the JBOD method you describe? Or can you point me to some useful documentation?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Oh, you're using it just for iSCSI? Then I think that would be ok... not sure why its now listing the raid devices though.. Did you try a factory reset maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.