proper/easier way to upgrade hdd's

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesk18

Cadet
Hello,

I have 4x1tb hdd on my hp n36l server using freenas 8, and 5x2tb new hdd's i want to install, is it possible to transfer the data to the new hdd's or do i need to start from scratch and re-back up all the data to my server(dont really want to do this option, will take for ever)

Thanks for reading and the help

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Since it's not the same number of drives you can't do an upgrade-in-place without leaving out one of the new drives. You'll probably need to back up the data, assuming you don't have enough ports in the box to plug all the drives in at once.

andyl

Explorer
Hello,

I have 4x1tb hdd on my hp n36l server using freenas 8, and 5x2tb new hdd's i want to install, is it possible to transfer the data to the new hdd's or do i need to start from scratch and re-back up all the data to my server(dont really want to do this option, will take for ever)

Thanks for reading and the help

The Microservers only have 4 drive bays - or are you cramming a disk into the CD bay?

I'm doing a very similar thing with my system - a Microserver N40L - going from 3 of 1.5TB & 1 of 2TB to 4 of 2TB. There's a thread here. I'd be interested to know how you go....

Status
Not open for further replies.