Promiscuous mode and virtual distributed switches (vDS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

i run a test instance of Freenas 9.2 in a ESXi 5.5 VM. I have a striped mirror set (RAID10) with several datasets populated with real data (duplicated). All in all 8Tb worth of drives, 4Tb usable. SSD on a side for ZIL/L2ARC testing. I use an IBM M1015 crossflashed to IT mode, no oprom, in passtrough mode. 16 Gb RAM reserved and another 16Gb ready to hotadd.

I had no knowledge of UNIX permissions prior to my test and that was a pain to manage. I typically run AD and that is much more granular and easier to manage. I read ZFS is going in that direction with the new ZFS ACL.

Tried the jail system and after a lot of trial and error regarding the permissions (could not make it work with AD permissions) i could add a mount point and made transmission work properly.

Last thing i wanted is to give it a little network bandwidth boost/ redundancy so i made a 3 port LACP in vCenter (a LAG virtual distributed switch) (not much use really, but this is a test environment).

Much to my surprise, after i have switched the VM to the vDS i have lost connectivity to the Transmission GUI. I know about promiscuous mode and is on accept mode on all Vnetworks and the VDS switch.

I believe this is a very complicated issue (given the complex setup) and i do not expect to get an answer but maybe a hint of where to look in order to diagnose the problem and work it out with Vmware.

As an alternative this will be also a good way to passtrough 2 ports from a NIC and try the LAGG embedded into Freenas but also having Pfsense makes me believe it will work just fine.

Aside form the first question i have another one:

Has anyone managed to make the jail permissions work with the Windows/AD ACL? Hints please?

If i set my transmission dataset permissions to Windows ACL i get this \mnt\transmission need execute bit.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Draculea

P.S. the production server will be baremetal.

Status
Not open for further replies.