Problems with Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judd Bonham

Cadet
Before I get the hammer for creating yet another Plex thread, I will say that I have spent the last week reading articles on how to fix the problem I am having. I have been using FreeNAS for quite a while but I am not versed in Shell/CLI commands or how to use them. I have however been successful only once before in creating and installing Plex in a jail. I did this in 9.10 U3 and when it came time I updated to U4.

At this point my machine has been updated to FreeNAS 11 which, I believe is where the problem started. I have never had problems getting FreeNAS installed initially. It is obvious however that others have been able to make Plex see the mount points but I cannot. I am not sure why. I used the instructions for installing Plex in a jail that are located at the link below.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ombi-transmission-nzbget-sabnzbd-organizr.58/

Issue being that when I follow those instructions everything seems fine until I try to navigate to the mount points so Plex can see the content I have stored and populate all the appropriate categories. If someone could help me with this it would be appreciated. I have included a screen shot of the issue below and hope it will be obvious to someone else what the issues could be.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Plex mountpoints.jpg
    Plex mountpoints.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 292

Redcoat

MVP
You need to type the mount point address into the light gray box at the top of the page.

Judd Bonham

Cadet
You need to type the mount point address into the light gray box at the top of the page.

Should have mentioned that I have tried that over and over and it never populates the content. Installations in the past (when it worked) would have the mount point available to browse below the gray box. Manually entering the mount point address does not have the desired effect of making said mount point available.

Redcoat

MVP
Having the mount point available to browse to "disappeared" a few updates ago. There are a thread or two on this forum discussing what worked when typing in the mount point didn't work. This never happened to me so I have no words of wisdom other than to suggest you search for "Plex can't find media" or similar. Good luck.

JoelN

Dabbler
I had a similar problem. I solved it by adding the following storage settings to my Plex standard jail:

- Source: /mnt/mvol2/plexdata (‘mvol2/plexdata’ is the dataset where my media folders reside)
- Destination: /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media (‘Media’ folder will be created if it doesn’t exist)
- Create directory & Mounted? both checked

Now, when Adding a Library in Plex you will likely see ‘/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server’ when you ‘Browse For Media Folder.’ You should see the ‘Media’ folder that was created above. Click on it to access your media folders.

Hopefully this will work for you. It did for me.

Judd Bonham

Cadet
I had a similar problem. I solved it by adding the following storage settings to my Plex standard jail:

- Source: /mnt/mvol2/plexdata (‘mvol2/plexdata’ is the dataset where my media folders reside)
- Destination: /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media (‘Media’ folder will be created if it doesn’t exist)
- Create directory & Mounted? both checked

Now, when Adding a Library in Plex you will likely see ‘/usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server’ when you ‘Browse For Media Folder.’ You should see the ‘Media’ folder that was created above. Click on it to access your media folders.

Hopefully this will work for you. It did for me.

Thanks JoeIN,
The process you described worked for me. I was able to map to the media folder and then on to additional folders for the different types of media within said folder. This is exactly what I needed!

A strange thing now is after I have Plex up and running for a bit inside the jail the web interface ceases to function. It is just all of a sudden I can no longer access plex from the ip the jail sets. On to a new problem!

Once again, thanks JoeIN!

Judd Bonham

Cadet
It seems after a restart of the jail Plex is up and running again. If for some reason it quits a second time I will come back and update.

ThreeDee

Guru

danb35

Hall of Famer
First off, stop Plex with the following command:
service plexmediaserver stop

To actually update Plex, run the following command:
pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver

Lastly, start Plex again with the following command:
service plexmediaserver start
This can be greatly simplified:
pkg upgrade
service plexmediaserver restart

There's no need to stop the plex service first, and I can't see any reason why you'd only want to upgrade the plex package.

Judd Bonham

Cadet
Yes, those steps have all been taken in the past. They resulted in the same behavior. Also, the jail is installed in FreeNAS 11.0 U4 not 9.10 if that helps. When I restart the plex jail immediately following a crash, everything plex related works great. No issues streaming video or music from the server until it crashes again.

ThreeDee

Guru
I run the 11.1 beta right now with latest plex-pass without issue .. maybe check your hardware? Temps? Memory stable? PSU? Blown caps on mobo ..etc. Those things can cause random weirdness.

Status
Not open for further replies.