Problems with P420 HBA mode

f!ReW4LL

Dabbler
Hello together I have a problem..... and my P420 is having problems. Every time I want to create a pool, the system hangs. And the card is no longer recognised. The P420 is switched to HBA mode and can mount the hard drives. But I suspect that it is no longer working properly. I have been trying for several days to get this to work again, but without success. Now the question is, how should I proceed? Order an HBA and plug it in and that's it or try again? The card has FW:8.32 and is operated in a whitebox with a Ryzen and ESXI 7.0. It ran in Raid mode without any problems until recently. Now I have come into the enjoyment of Truenas and would like to configure this. It started with one of the 8 hard disks always being marked as failed. But the disk had no errors. The hard drives are all new 8x8TB Ironwolf hard drives. Initially it worked with 7x8TB hard drives. Then I tried various things to get the 8 drive to work, but since then I just have repeated errors. Now the raid controller is in HBA mode and no matter which disk is connected, it freezes when creating the pool. Since everything is in a node 804.... space is also limited. Wanted an H240 so I wouldn't have to change the connections as I have angled SAS to Sata. And I'm in a blind spot and don't know what to do. Get a 9300-8i and be done with it?`Will it work well with ESXI and Truenas? or a H240 and hope that it works well?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
My recollection is that the H240 is not an LSI based HBA. That falls under points 2) and 4) of the link I previously quoted. Basically we don't know, but it looks like it might be registered to the cciss driver, which is known to suck.

The 9300-8i is a perfectly boring LSI HBA that will work fine when crossflashed to IT mode with the correct firmware rev.

f!ReW4LL

Dabbler
My recollection is that the H240 is not an LSI based HBA. That falls under points 2) and 4) of the link I previously quoted. Basically we don't know, but it looks like it might be registered to the cciss driver, which is known to suck.

The 9300-8i is a perfectly boring LSI HBA that will work fine when crossflashed to IT mode with the correct firmware rev.
Hi thanks

I Orderet that one.... hope it works.
Why boring? Asking because i would like to have speed when moving date trught the VM's :P

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Why boring? Asking because i would like to have speed when moving date trught the VM's :P
Boring gets the job done.

You won't be likely to bottleneck that HBA with spinning disks.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Boring gets the job done.

Exactly. "Why does everyone always suggest LSI, it's always the same suggestion, why don't you try Brand X's HBA?"

LSI HBAs and their drivers have an aggregate of billions of running hours and exabytes of data on FreeBSD based systems.

f!ReW4LL

Dabbler
I got the 9300-8i today... installed it in the System...... its strange..... i cant get ESXI so TrueNas to reconigze the Card.
No Avago SAS Adapters found! Limited command set available.
Error: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
Error: Couldn0t create command -f
Exiting Program
But Strange is that ESXI shows the HBA and i could passtrought the Disks to truenas in as new baredisks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I got the 9300-8i today... installed it in the System...... its strange..... i cant get ESXI so TrueNas to reconigze the Card.
No Avago SAS Adapters found! Limited command set available.
Error: Command Not allowed without an adapter!
Error: Couldn0t create command -f
Exiting Program
But Strange is that ESXI shows the HBA and i could passtrought the Disks to truenas in as new baredisks

Did you check if it's been flashed to IT mode before installation?

f!ReW4LL

Dabbler
Not really, if was reading that this card will shipped direktli in IT mode. Otherwise, how can i do it?
Create a linux USB-Stick with the file and connect it that way?

Samuel Tai

f!ReW4LL

Dabbler
Yes saw this.... my problem is, i dont have the Jumper :( i mean dont have this blue piece there

Samuel Tai

A small alligator clip will work as a jumper. Even a small bulldog clip will work.

Samuel Tai

If you can get it to stay on, yes, a small paperclip would also work.

f!ReW4LL

Dabbler
get it to stay on, only thing that im missing now is sas3flash.efi file
found only without .efi at the end

EDIT: found it..... SORRY
Interessting, the controller is already in IT mode with the Firmware 16.00.10.00

so i dont think that i have to do something? Strange this is only that i cant se the Smart status in truenas -.-

EDIT 2: got it sorry....... ill check if it works now

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

What firmware level are you running on the HBA? Some versions don't have SMART pass-through.