HBA with SFF 8484

clarknova

Explorer
I happened upon a free HP DL380 G5 server with 8 SAS drives in it and would like to use it for off-site replication. The only snag here is that the motherboard appears to have no drive connectors on it (USB excepted), and the 8 drives are connected via an HP Smart Array P400 card. All my Googling indicates that this card cannot be made to do IT mode or passthrough, so I'm looking to replace it.

So the present challenge is to find an HBA that will accept the SAS connectors coming from the drive backplane. As far as I can tell, these connectors are of type SFF 8484. I have not been able to find an HBA with anything resembling that connector.

Can anybody recommend an HBA and/or breakout cable, etc that will facilitate connecting these 8 drives?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
SFF-8484 is an older connector style, so it wouldn't be recommended (generally speaking) to run an HBA that uses cables that old.

A more modern HBA and a set of SFF-8087 to SFF-8484 cables is the recommended approach - you do not need a "breakout" cable as you aren't splitting the SAS lanes out into individual endpoints, just changing the form-factor of the 4-lane connector.