Problem with LSI and Smartctl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenfolk

Explorer
I got my new IBM ServeRAID M1015 card today, and followed the instructions to flash it to IT mode and set it next to the other card I have. I added it to my volume and all the drives were seen and everything seemed pretty good. However, when I go to run the smart test I'm running into an issue that I've read that seems to point to the fact that my card isn't flashed into IT mode. When I perform the sas2flash -list command, I get:

Code:
Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)							 

Controller Number			  : 0									 
	   Controller					 : SAS2008(B2)							
	   PCI Address					: 00:03:00:00							
	   SAS Address					: 500605b-0-02cf-7eb0					
	   NVDATA Version (Default)	   : 0f.00.00.05							
	   NVDATA Version (Persistent)	: 0f.00.00.05							
	   Firmware Product ID			: 0x2213 (IT)							
	   Firmware Version			   : 15.00.00.00							
	   NVDATA Vendor				  : LSI									
	   NVDATA Product ID			  : SAS9211-8i							 
	   BIOS Version				   : 07.29.00.00							
	   UEFI BSD Version			   : N/A									
	   FCODE Version				  : N/A									
	   Board Name					 : SAS9211-8i							 
	   Board Assembly				 : N/A									
	   Board Tracer Number			: N/A									

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.							 
	   Exiting SAS2Flash.	

That is the correct SAS address of the card I just installed, and it looks like I flashed it into IT mode. I'm a little confused why it isn't showing my other card, I know I flashed that into IT mode when I first built the system a little over a year ago and did all the hard drive burn in tests without a problem. When I dig into the smart command, I get this:
Code:
[root@Kenfolknas ~]# smartctl -a -d ata -T permissive /dev/mfisyspd0								    							
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64] (local build)			    											  
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org	    												  

Read Device Identity failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device				  														

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===									    														
Device Model:	 [No Information Found]									    													
Serial Number:	[No Information Found]									    													
Firmware Version: [No Information Found]										  												  
Device is:		Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]	    													
ATA Version is:   [No Information Found]								    														
Local Time is:	Fri Apr 13 23:04:09 2018 EDT							    													  
SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 82-83 don't show if SMART supported.										
SMART support is: Ambiguous - ATA IDENTIFY DEVICE words 85-87 don't show if SMART is enabled.									   
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.  

From everything I've read that readout comes when the card isn't properly flashed. However, as shown above the readout seems to show I flashed the card so I'm not exactly sure what I'm missing.

Long story short, I have 2 of those IBM cards, one I flashed over a year ago and has worked perfectly and another I just installed. The one I just installed is the only one showing up under the -list command and shows it in IT mode, but the smartctl command seems to indicate a problem

Zredwire

Explorer
I'm not sure but the firmware version should be much higher or you will have problems. It needs to be above 20.00.04. Preferably 20.00.07. Not sure if thats causing the problem but that is where I would start.

Kenfolk

Explorer
Thanks for the reply, it turns out that was the issue. After upgrading the firmware, and spending several hours trying to figure out why I couldn't boot anymore (I flashed the bios rom too which I learned I shouldn't do), I am able to start the smart tests. I extended my volume before doing the tests so I'm going to have to skip the badblocks test but at least I can run all the smart tests

Status
Not open for further replies.