Problem with FreePBX at VirtualBox in Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smarley

Explorer
Dear,

I´m trying to use FreePBX at VirtualBox inside my Freenas server.
It's seems very unstable, when I try to connect the X-lite (softphone) I cant access my freepbx address from the browser and need to restart the virtual machine.

I tried the last version of FreePBX 32bits and Asterisk 13 at the install.
The Virtual Machine is running inside a Freenas 9.3 stable version.

The virtual machine I did with FreeBSD 32 bits and enable PAE and host IO cache, it does not have acceleration.

My idea was to use the same machine and reduce the investment of my PBX.

Has anyone try this before?
Maybe with another version of software, or configuration of virtualbox.

Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A PBX software is difficult to virtualize correctly as it is. Trying to virtualize it on virtual box on FreeNAS is an exercise in futility.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@pirateghost, that may be so, but I know that I ran FreePBX under CentOS in a FreeNAS/VirtualBox VM for several months without an issue. It's now on my Proxmox host, where it continues to have no issues. I enabled host i/o caching on the VM (which I've found to be essential to get stability out of any guest OS under FreeNAS/VirtualBox), but don't think I did anything else special. I have no experience running FreeBSD under FreeNAS/VirtualBox, though. I'd think, if you're going to use BSD anyway, just put it in a jail.

Smarley

Explorer
@pirateghost, that may be so, but I know that I ran FreePBX under CentOS in a FreeNAS/VirtualBox VM for several months without an issue. It's now on my Proxmox host, where it continues to have no issues. I enabled host i/o caching on the VM (which I've found to be essential to get stability out of any guest OS under FreeNAS/VirtualBox), but don't think I did anything else special. I have no experience running FreeBSD under FreeNAS/VirtualBox, though. I'd think, if you're going to use BSD anyway, just put it in a jail.

Can you tell me with operational system and FreePBX version you used?
(Did you use Debian 32bits and Asterisk 11, 13?)
My first try was with FreeBSD but I don´t know which is correct.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I think it depends on the workload and number of clients. Virtualizing a reliable and stable PBX takes a lot of time and patience. QOS comes heavily into play here for more than a couple of clients.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
(Did you use Debian 32bits and Asterisk 11, 13?)
My first try was with FreeBSD but I don´t know which is correct.
He literally said it was CentOS in the comment you quoted....

If you're using freebsd why wouldn't you just use a jail?

danb35

Hall of Famer
It was (and still is, for that matter) PBX In a Flash Green (which uses FreePBX 2.11.0.43 and Asterisk 11.10.0) with CentOS 6.5, 64-bit.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I think it depends on the workload and number of clients.
That may well be the case. My workload is very light (it's a home/home office setting), so I certainly can't endorse it for an enterprise deployment.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That may well be the case. My workload is very light (it's a home/home office setting), so I certainly can't endorse it for an enterprise deployment.
I have run my freepbx in proxmox for years. It's great, but without a good network, it will sound like shit. If I were to spin up 5+ clients for a conference call, when I was on my 100/10 connection, quality would go to shit quickly without QOS. Now I'm stuck on a 6mb/768k connection and can't use my PBX :(

Smarley

Explorer
It was (and still is, for that matter) PBX In a Flash Green (which uses FreePBX 2.11.0.43 and Asterisk 11.10.0) with CentOS 6.5, 64-bit.

Thanks I will try with this configuration (CentOS 6.5, 64-bit and Asterisk 11), did you make something different at virtualbox configuration?
Besides enable Host IO. How much RAM did you use?
I didn´t know that we can emulate 64bit at virtualbox.

I will use only 4 analog trunks and 5 extensions, it´s small office, I think that my server can handle it.
It´s Lenovo TS140, and today run only a Windows 7 inside virtual machine for my security alarm server.

In the future I would like to run an firewall inside it too, like Endian.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Thanks I will try with this configuration (CentOS 6.5, 64-bit and Asterisk 11),
http://pbxinaflash.com/vm/ has links to where you can download pre-made VM appliances, including for VirtualBox. As I said, I'm using PIAF-Green, though I don't think I used the premade image.

did you make something different at virtualbox configuration?

I enabled host i/o caching on the VM (which I've found to be essential to get stability out of any guest OS under FreeNAS/VirtualBox), but don't think I did anything else special.

How much RAM did you use?
I can't say for sure how much I gave it under VirtualBox, but it has 1 GB now under Proxmox. It was probably the same under VirtualBox, but I'm not certain.

I didn´t know that we can emulate 64bit at virtualbox.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't know that--when you create a new VM, for just about any VM type (Windows, Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc.), there are a bunch of 64-bit entries in the "version" drop-down.

Smarley

Explorer
And about the FXO board, FreePBX will indentify correctly when connect at PCI?
I would like to use a generic TDM410P.
Or you used a Gateway FXO?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I would like to use a generic TDMP410P.
Or you used a Gateway FXO?
And now you're getting into some difficulty of attaching to the physical hardware....

danb35

Hall of Famer
No idea--I've never tried to pass through hardware to a VirtualBox VM. I'm using only VOIP endpoints and SIP trunks.

Smarley

Explorer
Yep, I think that this will be the really problem in use virtualization.

Smarley

Explorer
I saw some Gateway FXO at the market and seens to be a good option.

I did not understand complete architecture of Asterisk.
For ex:
If I use an gateway with 4 ports, and setup only 1 trunk, with 1 outbound route and inbound route.
This inbound route will call in all extensions that I have in the office (in the future will point to an IVR), and all extension will use the outbound route to call outside.
This will work with only one trunk configured when more than 1 person are calling?
My question is about the trunk configured, several user can use the same trunk or outbound route at the same time?
I read this example: http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FOP...ream+GXW-410X+Device+to+act+as+an+FXO+Gateway

I´m considering to use an raspberry of http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/ to the system if not work in FreeNAS VM.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I think you need to ask asterisk specific questions over on their forums

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
IP telephony is more complicated than one would assume and definitely beyond what this forum can help with on a meaningful level.

Status
Not open for further replies.