Problem restoring a backup from a FreeNAS server using Macrium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleFester

Explorer
Hello To You All,

I have backed-up (i.e. imaged) a number of computers to my FreeNAS server using Macrium Reflect Server Edition Ver6.2.

I have no problems backing-up any of my systems across my network, to the FreeNAS server, using Macrium.

My problems start when I try to restore an image to one of my computers from the FreeNAS server, across my network, using Macrium.
The problem only arises when Macrium needs to boot into it's own compact Windows PE OS to complete the restore.
There are no problems restoring any HDD and or partition that does not require Macrium to boot into it's own OS.

It fails with the following message:

Code:
Event Data - 2 Items

Date	  15/09/2018 19:20:57  
Type	  Error
Event	513  
Source   Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

Date	  15/09/2018 19:02:10  
Type	  Error
Event	513  
Source   Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
Access is denied.

I suspect the problem is authentication.
I suspect that Macrium's Windows PE OS isn't able to authenticate to the FreeNAS server, even though I have entered these details into Macrium Reflect.

At the moment I am restoring from a little USB portable HDD after copying the image file to the protable drive from the FreeNAS server.
But the back-ups are getting so large that the drive won't be able to accomodate these images before long.
It would be really convenient to be able to do this across my network directly from the server and eliminate the use of a USB HDD altogether.

I have been trying to figure this out for some time now, but I am getting nowhere.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?
I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply.

UncleFester.

toadman

Guru
Since Macrium is throwing the error, did they have any insight into what's causing it?

UncleFester

Explorer
Hello @toadman

Thank you for your response and the very helpful link you provided.

My sincere apologies for not replying to you sooner.
I have not had much time to research this.
One of my sons has recently gone to University.
It's his first time away from home and he is finding it quite difficult.
My time is not my own at the moment.

Therefore, I am especially grateful for the link and any research you did to get it.
This seems to account for the problem I am experiencing.

As soon as I get a moment I will try out the solution proposed in the link you kindly attached for me.
I will also post back when I have.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

UncleFester.

UncleFester

Explorer
Hello To You All,

The solution contained within the link provided by @toadman worked!

My thanks to @toadman and to user szz743 who originally posted the solution.

I can now restore an image to one of my computers from the FreeNAS server, across my network, using the Macrium PE OS.

My only problem now is that the Macrium PE OS does not retain any of the details needed to connect and access the share on my FreeNAS server.
This means that every time I need to perform a restore I need to re-enter the various details needed (i.e. UNC, Network Credentials, passwords, etc).
This is causing quite a bit of inconvenience as I use very long passwords that I can only view in KeePass.
Furthermore there seems to be no way of making the settings stick within the Macrium Windows PE OS.

I use KeePass to store passwords and login details.
So a work around might be to run KeePass within the Macrium PE OS and copy the relevant information into the relevant text fields.
But I don't think it is possible to run KeePass within the Macrium PE OS

The only solution I can see to this problem is to build my own Windows PE OS that will run KeePass or retain the relevant information and get Macrium to use that.
Does anyone know if this would work?

If anyone has any other solutions or suggestions please let me know.

Thank you for the help so far.
And thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond.

UncleFester.

Status
Not open for further replies.