Problem burning img to USB stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getenjoki

Cadet
Hi Guys!

I am trying to install Freenas on a computer but i cant seem to make the usb bootable.

I am using this guide to burn the img file to the usb stick (windows)
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File

But when i put the usb stick into the computer it cant boot from it, none of the computers i have tested on can boot from the usb stick.

You are suppose to extract the img.xz file from the iso file downloaded from freenas website?

That img file should be burned to the usb stick?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. Consult the manual. It gives directions for installing FreeNAS.

Getenjoki

Cadet
when i extract the iso file into a folder, explained in the manual, the img file still ends in img.xz. It is that file that i should burn to the USB right? It is what the manual says, correct??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Where does the manual tell you to extract anything from the ISO?

Getenjoki

Cadet
"Once both utilities are installed, launch the 7-Zip File Manager and browse to the location containing your downloaded .img.xz file, as seen in Figure 2.4a.
Click the Extract button, browse to the path to extract to, and click OK. The extracted image will end in .img and is now ready to be written to a USB device using Win32DiskImager."

The downloaded image is an iso, but there is an img.xz inside the iso?
Oh, so i should open the img.xz and extract the img inside the img.xz.

Kinda bad manual TBH. :/

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Notice that the manual is not mentioning an ISO.. you are reading the wrong section of the manual.

One section is for the ISO, one section is for USB writing...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual is not bad... TBH.. it's user error. :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
"Once both utilities are installed, launch the 7-Zip File Manager and browse to the location containing your downloaded .img.xz file, as seen in Figure 2.4a.
Click the Extract button, browse to the path to extract to, and click OK. The extracted image will end in .img and is now ready to be written to a USB device using Win32DiskImager."

The downloaded image is an iso, but there is an img.xz inside the iso?
Oh, so i should open the img.xz and extract the img inside the img.xz.

Kinda bad manual TBH. :/

The manual makes perfect sense if you download the right file

Sent from my Nexus 7

andysilva

Cadet
The manual makes perfect sense if you download the right file

Sent from my Nexus 7

okay show me the right file then. i followed the steps outlined.. not clicking extract on the iso, but the .img.xz inside the iso and i still ended up with an extracted .img.xz file. ive tried winrar and 7zip using the same "manual instructions" that are "perfectly clear" with no avail. can you not just tell us how to do it correctly?

andysilva

Cadet
Notice that the manual is not mentioning an ISO.. you are reading the wrong section of the manual.

One section is for the ISO, one section is for USB writing...

okay i think he made a typo, but i too tried "using the manual instructions" to extract the .img.xz file from my download and still ended up with a .img.xz. i know im not a tech genius id just like to know what im doing wrong or how to fix it

andysilva

Cadet
I don't know since you provided ZERO information on your problem, what you are trying to do or what is wrong. I can tell you that the Windows and Linux instructions, if followed, work 100%.

"i followed the steps outlined.. clicking extract on the .img.xz inside the iso and i still ended up with an extracted .img.xz file." zero information

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
"i followed the steps outlined.. clicking extract on the .img.xz inside the iso and i still ended up with an extracted .img.xz file." zero information
Reread the instructions. ISO is not what you are supposed to use.

Sent from my Nexus 5

D

dlavigne

Which documentation are you reading? The Guide doesn't say anywhere to extract the .img.xz inside the iso.

andysilva

Cadet
Which documentation are you reading? The Guide doesn't say anywhere to extract the .img.xz inside the iso.

my bad that was a typo again. not the iso but the download. its a single thing that says freenasrelease.img.xz but then i cant even extract it with winrar. winrar is supposed to be able to work with .xz. i tried another computer with 7zip and it just extracted the same file to a new destination i specified.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, the manual doesn't tell you to use Winrar does it?

So maybe you really should stop and follow the manual! Not surprisingly you are having problems since you aren't actually following the manual. You are reading the manual, interpreting it however you are seeing fit, then are upset when the result is not as expected.

I guarantee you that if you open the .xz file 7zip WILL give you an img file as the extracted file. It's no different than you trying to tell me you opened a .rar file on WinRAR and even though there's a file inside that might be .doc it's still giving you a .rar.

andysilva

Cadet
wait what manual? i just looked up the program i had, and it said winrar does .xz. i didnt see any manual tho. i guess ill google it. i didnt want to install more bloatware just to extract a file when supposedly the program i had works with those files

gpsguy

The manual aka guide, is a PDF file on the same URL where you can download FreeNAS.

You should give it a good read anyway, it'll probably answer the next question(s) you have, after you get FreeNAS installed.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
wait what manual? i just looked up the program i had, and it said winrar does .xz. i didnt see any manual tho. i guess ill google it. i didnt want to install more bloatware just to extract a file when supposedly the program i had works with those files

winrar is bloat. 7zip or go home.

ZFS Noob

Contributor
For future people who find this thread via Google, here's the high-level view of FreeNAS installation:
  • Option 1: you can download an ISO, burn it to CD, boot your nas server with that CD, and have it install FreeNAS to a USB storage device on the server.
  • Option 2: you can download the actual FreeNAS image, then burn it to the USB media you want to boot from directly, then boot your new FreeNAS box from that.
Personally I think the first option was simpler, but it should all work. The OP was apparently downloading the media suitable for option 1, then trying to perform option 2 with it. This doesn't work very well.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, if prior users are any indication, if you can't figure out how to get the install correct you are really in for a nightmare when you try using FreeNAS. Chances of losing data later are quite high for people that aren't well educated and experienced in IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.