Prioritize jail cpu resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

el133

Dabbler
Hi all,
I have one jail in which I constantly transcode video files. I would like this jail to limit it's cpu usage when other processes/jails want it. So when plex is transcoding some files on the fly I want this jail to basically do nothing, and when system is mostly idle I want it to scale to 100% usage.

What is the way to go in FreeNAS?
Rctl?
Nice / renice?
Other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

el133

Dabbler
Yes, thats the reason I limited the threads used bij ffmpeg. I want to change that but only feel comfortable doing that if this jail gets the lowest priority. That surely muwt be possible?

shamo316

Dabbler
Hi all,
I have one jail in which I constantly transcode video files. I would like this jail to limit it's cpu usage when other processes/jails want it. So when plex is transcoding some files on the fly I want this jail to basically do nothing, and when system is mostly idle I want it to scale to 100% usage.

What is the way to go in FreeNAS?
Rctl?
Nice / renice?
Other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

I used HandbrakeCLI in my jail, It has a line you can put it to only use only those cores. For Handbrake its, -x ":threads=20" . did a quick search for ffmpeg you just gotta put -threads 1

el133

Dabbler
Yes I understand I can limit the threads used by ffmpeg. As a matter of fact that is how I run it at the moment. The problem arises when plex has to do multiple transcodes on the fly. My cpu simply cant handle that. Its these situations where I want the ffmpeg jail to be limited. Cant be the only one right?

m0nkey_

MVP
Maybe you should take a look at the command line utility renice. It allows you to change the priority of a running application. Or you can launch your application with the nice.

Both have man entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.