kaihostel

Cadet
  • 0DPRKF Dell System Board
  • Intel Xeon Processor E5649
  • 32 gb ram
  • Hard drives, 8, st2000nm0023, RAID configuration not sure,
  • Hard disk controllers not sure
  • idrac6 enterprise and express

I'm not sure how to find my hardware spec other than the ones listed.

Installed FreeNas successfully or so i thought, i'm in console setup and i'm getting the message "The web interface could not be accessed". I installed freenas through idrac6 so i know the server is connected physically and i read the guide to manually setup an ipv4 address but im not sure how to choose an ip within my range.
interfaces.jpg

c77dk

Patron
Been years since I've worked with idrac, but doesn't it have a dedicated interface like the ipmi interfaces on Supermicro boards?

If it's seperate you can easily connect to the idrac, but not have anything connected to the "normal" interfaces on the server.

You might want to go into the shell and take a look with ifconfig for interfaces able to get a link up

Alecmascot

Guru
Get more details of the spec by using the service tag on the dell support web site and by looking at the bios screens.
You probably have an unsupported NIC and maybe an unsuitable RAID type HBA.
Which FreeNAS version are you installing ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The bce's on the PowerEdge R510's actually seem to work fine. The controller will probably need to be swapped out for an HBA flashed to IT mode. I've processed a bunch of these here in the shop in recent years and the most objectionable bit is that Dell disables the onboard SATA ports if you have the 12-drive model.

kaihostel

Cadet
Been years since I've worked with idrac, but doesn't it have a dedicated interface like the ipmi interfaces on Supermicro boards?

If it's seperate you can easily connect to the idrac, but not have anything connected to the "normal" interfaces on the server.

You might want to go into the shell and take a look with ifconfig for interfaces able to get a link up
how would i go about doing that?

Get more details of the spec by using the service tag on the dell support web site and by looking at the bios screens.
You probably have an unsupported NIC and maybe an unsuitable RAID type HBA.
Which FreeNAS version are you installing ?

I installed 11.3-U4.1

The bce's on the PowerEdge R510's actually seem to work fine. The controller will probably need to be swapped out for an HBA flashed to IT mode. I've processed a bunch of these here in the shop in recent years and the most objectionable bit is that Dell disables the onboard SATA ports if you have the 12-drive model.
is there a tutorial on flashing an hba to it mode?

c77dk

Patron
how would i go about doing that?
Just choose option 9 on the login screen, and then

Code:
ifconfig #interface#
for your interface names (you have bce0, bce1, igb0, igb1, igb2, igb3) and just look for "status: active".

You might need to set the interface "up"
Code:
ifconfig #interface# up
manually, but I didn't have to do that on my system.