Power Outage Causing Weird Issues. NAS

taylordude

Explorer
We had an extended power outage last night, when our NAS Came back up it works on and off. For instance when you ping it replies once and maybe twice then times out. The file share works for a bit and then doesn't, so I thought IP Conflict but nope. So not sure why this is happening but the really weird thing is a it works with out any issues on my main DC, I can access shares and ping constantly. So I guess maybe something is wonky, restarts help for about 20 minutes then it goes right back to the odd condition. Luckily I keep 2 NAS servers that are mirrored via freesync so was able to switch users over while I troubleshoot.

I was going to restart my switches tonight in case they are hung up. Any other suggestions would be great.

Cheers. KT

Network card on the NAS was damaged from a surge, perhaps?

Maybe hardware between the NAS and the client?

Or a combination of these?

Are you able to test with a straight ethernet connection from the NAS to the "poorly performing" client? (You'll have to configure the interface to use a static IP address for this test.)

Does the NAS have another network card/port that you can also try?

Last edited:

taylordude

Explorer
I have a 4 port network card I can swap out. What configuration does that require? Or does automatically detect new HW?

Should automatically detect it and present it, so long as it's FreeBSD compatible. You might have to redo your network config on TrueNAS. (And its IP address might change.) Depends what you have configured now.

Either way, you should export a backup of your config file with System -> General -> Save Config

taylordude

Explorer
Okay I noticed everything on the switch
Should automatically detect it and present it, so long as it's FreeBSD compatible. You might have to redo your network config on TrueNAS. (And its IP address might change.) Depends what you have configured now.

Either way, you should export a backup of your config file with System -> General -> Save Config
Config is backed up, I do that weekly. I really need to keep the same IP because it is my file share and I do not want to mess with DNS. I just noticed everything on my IDF switch works fine, the 2nd upstairs switch or MDF is the wonky area so must be something between the two switches but I am running some longer ping test to see if that holds up.

Process of elimination.

From what you described, sounds like the upstairs piece may have been affected/damaged? (Power surges and lightning strikes can cause odd and unpredictable issues. I've been bitten myself. :frown:)

taylordude

Explorer
Process of elimination.

From what you described, sounds like the upstairs piece may have been affected/damaged? (Power surges and lightning strikes can cause odd and unpredictable issues. I've been bitten myself. :frown:)
I am going to change out the Network Card, looking at the native screen options, I see configure network interfaces but it doesn't seem to change the HTTPS Web Access Address. What is the procedure for this?

Of which IP address(es) to listen for incoming connections to the Web GUI? It defaults to "any" (i.e, 0.0.0.0).

As long as you know what it is.