BUILD HTPC/Nas Build Noob Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
I researched this project thoroughly and spent alot of hours. I am still rough in certain areas and this will be my first HTPC/NAS build so please excuse any stupid questions. I will be setting this up in a few months for a move to a new spot. I have two computers that I may be repurposing.One is my personal pc which is based off X58 (2009) which is due for a rebuild. Another is my networking lab that I use for my studies. This machine has a Chenbro 4RU Case, Intel Core i5, 32Gb Non-ECC ram, 500GB SSD, Asus Z97C Motherboard and is running fine on ESXi to host my VM's for the past year. So I am not new to the concept of building machines and using Virtual Machines in a ESXi environment. I am not familiar with Linux or BSD that much.
I wanted to setup a HTPC/NAS Server and went back and forth on using my existing server to do all 3 functions and saving money. I researched that it is best to have ESXi as a guest of FreeNas instead of vice versa. Other issues arise as far as passthru options and Freenas needing dedicated ram. Decided to avoid headaches and not to interfere with my current lab that I would build a HTPC/NAS separate server combo. If the All In One can still be done let me know otherwise I will be going this route. This route is keeping my ESXi server and just building another server.

Hardware Build
*I understand the importance of using ECC Ram with ZFS so avoiding that headache
*I understand the importance of using NAS Drives instead of consumer grade drives
*I understand the importance of either using Xeon or Core i3 for ECC Support, AES-NIC etc
I have a quick rough list of parts for this build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RemyZ/saved/m6ggXL
Plus
SuperMicro X11SSH-F Motherboard (C226 Chipset, 8+Sata3 HDD, Dual Intel Nics, ECC Support)

My Requirements
Centralized Storage, Not an expert on Raid Setups but might go with RaidZ2 (3+2 Parity)
Backups for both Apple/Windows Products
Plex Media Server in Jail along with other apps
Stream Blu Ray Rips of purchased Blu Rays to Tv using Amazon Firestick/Google ChromeStick
Stream Flac Music to Marantz SR6010 from PMS
Most of my videos will be in MP4 format with the exception of blu ray rips which I think the cpu will be involved with transcoding to say a Chromestick and/or tablet correct me if I am wrong.

My rack will consist of
4RU Chenbro RM41300-F ESXi Server (May swap this for the 2RU Case )
1RUx4 Switches
1RU Console Server
1RU APC Power Controller
2RU NAS/HTPC Server Combo ( May swap this for the Chenbro 4RU Case )

Questions/Direction
With that being said I wanted to know is the CPU and Motherboard combo that I listed above ok ?
Wanted it to be low on power and stream maybe 1 or 2 streams for 1080p content.
I have a massive 24U Skeletek Rack that is bad on the eyes. I had this for a year or so and wanted to rack all kinds of hardware but nowadays most equipment as far as networking can be virtualized with the exception of switches.I plan on downsizing for my move to another apartment and looking for a 10-12U Rack. What is the best rack enclosure that is glass closed or open or just easy on the eyes ??? What is the best 2RU rack mounted case to house my existing ESXi server if I choose to swap this NAS for the 4RU Chenbro case I already have. Keep in mind that my existing ESXi build has a full ATX board.

Tried to make this post concise and straight to the point. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

RemyZ

Contributor
Is this a good build with
CPU: Core i3 6300T CPU 3.3GHZ Dual Core (AES-NI, ECC)
Motherboard: SuperMicro X11SSH-F ( 64GB Max Support, IPM, M.2 Connector, 8x Sata )
Boot Device: Satadom: 16GB
HDD: 4TB HGST 7200 RPM
Ram:Samsung 16GB (1 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

RemyZ

Contributor

RemyZ

Contributor
I can go with the regular Intel Core i3 6300 (Skylake) instead of the T Stepping.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

RemyZ

Contributor
Overall is this a good list with the exception of the ram. Any ideas on the 2RU rackmounted server ? Will try and start ordering parts tonight

RemyZ

Contributor
Is the Core i3 6300 good enough ?
It has a PCMark score of 5,894

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

RemyZ

Contributor
Any ideas on a good 2RU server case for my ESXi Server ?
And will the Chenbro RM41300-F Rack Mounted Case be good for this HTPC/NAS Build to house at least 6 HDDs?
Whats a good clean looking 12U Rack to replace my 22U Rack ?

RemyZ

Contributor

tvsjr

Guru
Why buy second-rate Chenbro cases when surplus Supermicro stuff is available on eBay quite cheaply?

RemyZ

Contributor
The Chenbro case is already bought. I will be moving the HTPC/NAS to this case and looking for a 1RU or 2RU for the ESXi lab.

RemyZ

Contributor
Why buy second-rate Chenbro cases when surplus Supermicro stuff is available on eBay quite cheaply?
I did a quick search and can look into replacing my Chenbro and buying two Supermicros if the cost permits.
There are alot of variations to go buy but for the most part will most Supermicro cases support a full ATX motherboard and would I need to worry about the back i/o plate ?

RemyZ

Contributor
Just bought a 2U Supermicro 825TQ Case on Ebay and now only need 4-8 HDD's for a complete system.
I still need to come up with a solution for a smaller rack to house all of this in. Then I need to find a better case for my ESXi server which is housed in a Chenbro 4U Rackmount case.

Status
Not open for further replies.