power management

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzgig656

Contributor
I suspect this is a bit of an old questions, ive seen a few other type of questions ofr controlling the power on freenas, I would like to suspend the system when not in use or when its not doing anything. Am i right in thinking there is no known plugin for setting up powering up/down/suspend or hibernate? If not is there a cron job i could set up to get it to power off when there has been not HDD or LAN activity? or worse case how can i set it up to power down as long as there is no one using it? Id be looking to use magic packets etc to WOL the device, so power up from suspend will probably be quicker??

cheers for your help

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are correct, this question is old and new. Every 2-3 weeks someone comes and asks about suspending the server when its not used. If you look around I believe the answer was along the lines of "FreeNAS wasn't designed for it not could it be implemented easily". Honestly, you'd be better off just setting the hard drives to sleep. If you have powerd enabled and hard drives sleeping I can't imagine your system would use more than 50-60w with a full blown desktop CPU. Plus waking up the hard drives takes at most 20 seconds.

fizzgig656

Contributor
year, spin down its on 30-35 watts. It was just a "it would be nice" and save a little cash!

Status
Not open for further replies.