SOLVED Power Company Scorched My Boot DOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWTech

Dabbler
Thanks, but I've had that UPS for a good many years and I'm well into the 2nd set of backup batteries. This was the first time I've seen something like this and I can't rule out a weak DOM.

It was a little unnerving at first, but FreeNAS is a great OS and since I had a good set of config backups it was pretty easy to recover from. I'm only out the cost of a new DOM and a Molex splitter and I got to use my troubleshooting skillz. DOMs are way better than thumb drives, but they fail just like any SSD. My NAS is happy, I'm happy.

To add a little extra, it may be worth noting that having a mirrored boot drive, which I believe has been supported as of FreeNAS 9.3, is tremendously helpful in these situations, and might be worth considering in the future.

Nipomo

Dabbler
To add a little extra, it may be worth noting that having a mirrored boot drive, which I believe has been supported as of FreeNAS 9.3, is tremendously helpful in these situations, and might be worth considering in the future.

Thanks, I did think about that. DOMs, SSDs and thumb drives don't age well. Buying another DOM to run in a RAID with my existing one might just end up giving me 2 worn out DOMs when the first one failed. So, my solution is to keep a good USB stick or 2 on hand along with my USB optical drive. If DOM fails, boot from CD, load up thumb drive, upload config and off we go again. When replacement DOM arrives, lather rinse, repeat.

tvsjr

Guru
So, it's called "[earth] ground". QED. Your views on the matter are hereby pre-empted sir!!!!
Except in some southern states, where it may also be referred to as "earf ground". Next, we can get into floating grounds, where "ground" and "earth ground" aren't actually the same potential. :D

As for the OP, the type of UPS matters not. If the power supply is happy with a stepped input (some aren't, but they'll power off instantly in most cases), you're good. However, assuming the power surge actually was the cause of the DOM destruction (which I'm somewhat dubious about - with a UPS and a power supply that will typically accept up to 240V in), I would ensure you have good backups and treat that system with some concern for the next few months. If the DOM was damaged, I wouldn't be surprised to find other damaged components.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
However, assuming the power surge actually was the cause of the DOM destruction (which I'm somewhat dubious about
I tend to agree. A chain of events that would fry a DOM in situ, but not something more sensitive on the motherboard itself on its way to doing that, seems a stretch to me.

I don't doubt the OP's claim that the DOM is toasted, but I tend to think the cause was not the VAC spike/line noise.

Also for the record, I've been using a mirrored pair of Sandisk Cruzer Fit thumb drives for 3 years. Never one bit out of place on either. But they are slow as hell.

Nipomo

Dabbler
DrKK, I agree. Power surge probably had nothing to do with my problem. The DOM was probably already busted and the shutdown and reboot brought it to light.

So far, the rest of the box is just humming along.

Thanks for all the good dialog everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.