Configure FreeNAS Mini XL Boot with RAID-1 mirror SATA DOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

fngregb

Cadet
The stock FreeNAS Mini XL has a single SATA DOM (SSD) boot device.
My FreeNAS Mini XL has an Apacer 16 GB SATA DOM (labeled with M/N APSDM016GA2AN-CTM1, P/N 81.Q1EG1.2T02FBA).

The existing SATA DOM is plugged into SATA port labeled SATAIII_M2.
There is a adjacent open SATA port labeled SATAIII_M3 (assume available for redundant SATA DOM).
It looks like I will also need an additional 5V power cable.

FreeNAS User Guide covers the basics in Section 5.3.1 Mirroring the Boot Device.
The following post suggests 16 GB SATA DOM won't drop-in; needs to be larger:
Mirroring boot drive with 9.3 - worked fine for me
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/mirroring-boot-drive-with-9-3-worked-fine-for-me.34960/

I am seeking experience to configure the FreeNAS Mini XL boot device with RAID-1 mirror.

1. SATA DOM brand, size, model;
2. Configuration / setup notes.

Thanks, gregb

Dice

Wizard
2. If you end up getting another satadom that is too small, you could reinstall on the new satadom, upload config, then add the old satadom as 2nd mirror.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The Mini XL has room for SSDs on the side of the drive cage. Unless you plan to have both L2ARC and ZIL, add an SSD instead of another SATADOM. Or just replace it. Or replace it with two SSDs as a mirrored boot device. Point being, don't go out of your way to use SATADOMs unless physical mounting locations are a problem.

Arwen

MVP
Some SATA DOMs are more expensive than simple SATA 2.5" SSDs. If you have the place for a 2.5" SSD, it might be cheaper.

But as for brands, sizes and models, I used the SuperMicro 32GB DOM, (they have only 1 model at that size). Definantly not the
cheapest. In my case, I was looking for reliability, (thus Mirrored boot devices), and did not have a place for a 2.5" SSD.

Dice

Wizard
Once mirrored, you could use one 'barely alive' SSD to extract the last of its lifespan in conjunction with your SATAdom.
Keep a copy of the config file -on another storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.