Possible permissions issues with Mylar plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyClown

Patron
Hi fellas,

firstly apologies for my poor knowledge of Unix and it's commands. I've only really used my Freenas box for Plex up until now, so once I was up and running I haven't had the need to learn much more.

I've installed the Mylar plugin to manage my comic book collection, however when the plugin tries to scan the folder that contains the comics, it logs an error:

2015-01-31 15:07:32ERRORUnable to complete the scan: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
2015-01-31 15:07:32WARNINGCannot find directory: /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics. Not scanning

I spoke to the developer who said: "make sure that Mylar has the proper permissions to access the given directory (basically chmod of 775 would be good)"

Now I understand that chmod (change mode) will change relevant permissions and that 775 will be for the root user, rather than 777 which would be for all users.

My problem is knowing what to apply chmod 775 to. Am I applying it to the plugin itself? the jail? or is it to the folders I need it to scan?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I didn't want to start changing things willy nilly, without asking the experst first :)

cheers

Rich

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Only change permission/ownership of your own media folders/datasets. Never change permission/ownership of the jail/plugin/application, that will stop them from working.

I sounds like you mounted a dataset into your jail which is a good first step, make sure to stay within there when changing permissions. Mylar runs as the 'media' user UID=816. changing permissions to 775 probably wouldn't work in this case.

chmod ### doesn't matter for the root user, the root user can read/write anything regardless. 755 (the usual default) allows the owner of the files to read+write them, and everyone else read only. 775 allows the owner and members of the group owner to read+write, and others readonly. 777 allows everyone to read+write.

unless 'media' is in a group, in your jail, matching the GID of the dataset mounted into your jail, 775 wont be matter. only 777 would allow writing. There are several ways to solve your issue, pick 755, 775, or 777 and I can help.

CraftyClown

Patron
Sorry Josh, you'll have to treat me like the moron that I am when it comes to this.

Are you saying, in a nutshell: change the permissions of the folder that contains my media (in this case /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics) to 777

so from shell: chmod 777 /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics

am I anywhere near close to understanding you? Or should I put my dunces cap back on and sit in the corner? :)

cheers

Rich

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry Josh, you'll have to treat me like the moron that I am when it comes to this.

Are you saying, in a nutshell: change the permissions of the folder that contains my media (in this case /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics) to 777

so from shell: chmod 777 /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics

am I anywhere near close to understanding you? Or should I put my dunces cap back on and sit in the corner? :)

cheers

Rich
That's the easiest way out. But, actually apply that recursively (with -R)
Code:
chmod -R 777 /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics

CraftyClown

Patron
Cheers Josh, however still no dice...

2015-01-31 17:54:12ERRORUnable to complete the scan: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
2015-01-31 17:54:12WARNINGCannot find directory: /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics. Not scanning

I installed the windows version of Mylar just to test and all seems to be well with it. Has the Freenas version of the plugin been confirmed as fully working? I'm just wondering whether I'm on a hiding to nothing here?

cheers

Rich

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

2015-01-31 17:54:12ERRORUnable to complete the scan: 'NoneType' object is not iterable
2015-01-31 17:54:12WARNINGCannot find directory: /mnt/TV/Media_3/Comics. Not scanning

I installed the windows version of Mylar just to test and all seems to be well with it. Has the Freenas version of the plugin been confirmed as fully working? I'm just wondering whether I'm on a hiding to nothing here?

cheers

Rich
I tested if it started but nothing more than that.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I can test it out at some point. your just scanning a directory? maybe I screwed something up when packaging it up.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

cheers

Rich
Just to make sure, you mounted your TV dataset into the Mylar jail right?

CraftyClown

Patron
Just to make sure, you mounted your TV dataset into the Mylar jail right?

lol, I'm not 100% sure. In fact I don't think so, no.

I followed a guide to set up my Freenas box specifically for Plex, so anything beyond that is a learning curve.

Does the screen shot below, shed any light on how my datasets are arranged?

Attachments

• Freenas.jpg
    Freenas.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 286

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
your mylar jail can't see any of those files unless you mount them into the jail.
choose your mylar jail and Mount whatever dataset contains your comics into the mylar jail.

on a different note.
I'd never split my movies / TV into different datasets, that means having to mount multiple datasets into your plex jail. it works just more complex.
I personally have a media dataset, with a movie and TV folder, so a single jail mount gets everything into the jail. but, it's your server, you can do it however you like =P

CraftyClown

Patron
Is it at all relevant that these are on separate mirrored volumes? ie 2 x 4tb drives contain my movies, 2 x 1tb drives contain my music and 2 x 1tb drives contain my TV shows and comic books. Hence the three datasets that are mounted in the plex jail

Or am I completely misunderstanding the way data sets work (most probably!)

So if I add a dataset to my Mylar jail, does it matter that the comics themselves are on a completely different physical drive?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Is it at all relevant that these are on separate mirrored volumes? ie 2 x 4tb drives contain my movies, 2 x 1tb drives contain my music and 2 x 1tb drives contain my TV shows and comic books. Hence the three datasets that are mounted in the plex jail

Or am I completely misunderstanding the way data sets work (most probably!)

So if I add a dataset to my Mylar jail, does it matter that the comics themselves are on a completely different physical drive?
ahh I didn't notice that!

whatever dataset your comics are on, it needs to be mounted into the mylar jail. however you want to skin that cat is your choice

CraftyClown

Patron
Arghhh, really thought that would work. Attached the data set correctly (sorry, that was such a stupid mistake as well) but still the same error remains

I'm pretty sure I have now correctly mounted the dataset. It seems so from the screenshot

Attachments

• Freenas 2.jpg
    Freenas 2.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Mylar 1.jpg
    Mylar 1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 318

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you mounted the dataset/folder to /Comics in the jail. your pointing Mylar to the location relative to the freenas host not the jail...

CraftyClown

Patron
and we have LIFT OFF!!!!!!!

Josh you are a legend. I can't believe it was such a stupid thing in the end as not having the dataset mounted in the jail.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. It's really appreciated :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
welcome, it confusing at first but at least you learned something

Status
Not open for further replies.