Possible HDD Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I0nize

Cadet
Hi,

I just noticed by backup freenas machine is getting the following HDD alert messages:

Code:
CRITICAL: Aug. 23, 2017, 2:57 p.m. - Device: /dev/ada6, 1168 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
CRITICAL: Aug. 23, 2017, 2:57 p.m. - Device: /dev/ada6, 1168 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I recently rebuilt the pool on this machine, it consists of 8 4TB seagate drives in raidz1 (I am aware that Z1 is not ideal but this is just a backup server running some of my older HDDs)

strangely when I run a zpool status command it says the pool is healthy and all disks are online?
https://pastebin.com/TwkU1Zmd

I also checked the smart info of ada6
https://pastebin.com/wpav8DsS

The drives have been is use for several years so the smart info is showing lots of old_age values but it seems to be online and passed the smart test so I'm not sure if it needs to be replaced or not.
the temperature is higher than i'd like at 44C but it does have 8 drives cramped into a tiny SilverStone DS380B case and freenas is not showing any high temp alerts so I don't think that is a huge issue.

Are thoughts on this? is the disk failing or not?

edit: How big of an issue is the 1168 Offline_Uncorrectable errors? the HDD still seems to be working and is passing the smart test despite these errors?

Last edited:

I0nize

Cadet
I would be replacing the drives.

fair enough, I guess I'm playing with fire here. I kinda just want to leave the drive in for awhile and see if the uncorrectable error count increases / let the drive fully die. I've mostly moved to 8TB drives so i don't really want to buy any more of these 4tb drives.

danb35

Hall of Famer
How big of an issue is the 1168 Offline_Uncorrectable errors?
It's kind of a lot. I'd be replacing the disk. Actually, I'd have replaced the disk by the time I saw double digits.

Stux

MVP
fair enough, I guess I'm playing with fire here. I kinda just want to leave the drive in for awhile and see if the uncorrectable error count increases / let the drive fully die. I've mostly moved to 8TB drives so i don't really want to buy any more of these 4tb drives.

If you had RaidZ2 perhaps you could play that game, but as others have said... that's actually a lot of bad blocks. Time to replace the drive.

Re the DS380. There are fan duct mods floating around that you should perhaps implement if you haven't already.

Less than 3 years of power-on time. What's the warranty? And congratulations on only 73 power cycles.

I0nize

Cadet
If you had RaidZ2 perhaps you could play that game, but as others have said... that's actually a lot of bad blocks. Time to replace the drive.

Re the DS380. There are fan duct mods floating around that you should perhaps implement if you haven't already.

Less than 3 years of power-on time. What's the warranty? And congratulations on only 73 power cycles.

okay.. i suppose i'll replace the drive then. I wasn't aware of the DS380 mods, thanks for the tip! I think i'll go the fancy route and 3D print a fan duct - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2182572

yep, a little shy of 3 years power on time, out of warranty unfortunately, these are all cheap desktop drives, I've since started purchasing 8TB NAS drives for my primary machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.