Possible? "Cow" or reset-filesystem-on-reboot system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wondering if this is possible with FreeNAS (iSCSI)?

I wish to have one "master image", accessible with one ISCSI iqn, which will allow read-write access to the "master image".
This will be used to administer and/or update a Windows 7 installation belongning to 20 computers.

Then I want 20 "cow" images, each having a unique iqn, one for each PC, which should be associated with the master image. Once the client disconnects or reboots (I can prepare to have a HTTP signal sent on reboot if required), the cow image for that particular PC should be reset, thus resetting that PC to a pristine state for the next user. (so even if the previous user literally filled that Windows 7 PC with the worst malware ever on the internet, one reboot - and its gone)

Is this possible with FreeNAS out of the box or with a plugin?

D

dlavigne

If you weren't using FreeNAS, what application would you use to accomplish this?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
ZFS cloning for the win. Alas I have no advice about how to do this with FreeNAS...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
How to automatically reset it is not likely to be feasible thru the GUI, sadly. This is more of a custom scripting thing, hence my previous reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.