Pool with hot spare not resilvering

StorageCurious

Explorer
1667400598042.png

Hi,

I was going a dry-run of "what happens when a drive fails" (I did write another thread to which the answer was RTFM so I deleted it).

So I did RTFM and simulated a disk needing replacement. I chose OFFLINE on da1, it became OFFLINE in the UI. So far so good. I pulled the disk out of the server. It never was marked REMOVED (it is a hot spare SAS drive and enclosure)

And then, I expected the SPARE to get in there, resilver, become UNAVAIL - as the documentation explains. But nothing seems to have happened, as if the fact that a hot-spare exists is not relevant to the pool.

Is my problem the fact that the drive never was REMOVED (according to the UI) or is my problem a hot-spare config one?

Should I forget hot-spares - I certainly find replacing manually the drive to be quite easy by using the REPLACE action, but I do intend to be away from the server from time to time.

Arwen

MVP
Yes, your problem is likely that the drive is off-line.

StorageCurious

Explorer
Yes, your problem is likely that the drive is off-line.

Am I not expected to offline a drive before removing it phyiscally?

Arwen

MVP
If your goal was to "test the hot sparing", then NO.

If your goal was to replace a failed disk, then follow the instructions, which probably include off-lining the affected disk.

StorageCurious

Explorer
If your goal was to "test the hot sparing", then NO.

If your goal was to replace a failed disk, then follow the instructions, which probably include off-lining the affected disk.

Thanks, I thought OFFLINING a disk would make the hot spare jump to the vdev to replace it. Guess not.