Pool OFFLINE after PSU died

BigMickeyCee

Cadet
Hey guys,

Apologies for what will likely be daft questions/assumptions but I'm very new to all this.

I recently converted my old gaming rig into a home NAS. Got a pool setup consisting on 2x 2TB WD Red Plus. After about a week I had a PSU failure. I've since replaced the PSU and TrueNAS boots fine (loaded on an M.2. However now my pool is showing as offline.

Both HDDs aren't showing in the BIOS under bootable drives but I'm not sure if that's because they have nothing bootable on them.

I've taken both HDDs out and slotted them into my 3.5" USB mount, they both spin up but aren't detected as external dives like my others do. But again, I'm not sure if this is something to do with the pool and they both need to be together? (like i said, very new to this)

I have a feeling the answer is "The PSU dying has killed them" but I came here just incase I'm missing something and that's not the case.

These HDDs are only about 3 weeks old for context.

Any assistance here will be appreciated. If there is anything I need to post or run then if you could point me in the right direct to get that for you, it would be appreciated also.

BigMickeyCee

Cadet
Sorry, forgot to add specs.

TrueNAS-13.0-U5.2

Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING
CPU - Intel Core i7 8700K Coffee Lake Six Core 3.7GHz
RAM - 16GB
HDD - 2x 2TB WD Red Plus

(over kill in know, but it was just sitting around doing nothing)

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

Please post the output of camcontrol devlist, preferably in code tags for readability.

I'm going to guess that you haven't yet set up SSH, nor had experience with the Shell. It will likely be best for expediency that you use the latter to enter the above command, then take a screenshot of the command result to post here. Be advised that code tags are "significantly preferred" for readability if you can use them.

Last edited:

BigMickeyCee

Cadet
Thanks Redcoat,

I honestly don't know what any of that means at the moment, but I'll do some research and get back to you on this.

Davvo

MVP
It means activating the SSH service and using it to connect from another machine.
On Windows you can then use either the powershell, the CMD, or 3rd part code like putty.
ssh user@nas_ip should do the trick if you don't change the port in the service settings.

zpool online poolname would be an option to try bringin back the pool.

Redcoat

MVP
OOO-K!
Let's have you do this, for now avoiding setting up SSH for simplicity:

1. Put your two Red Plus HDD's back in your TrueNAS box.
2. Fire it up.
3. On the GUI menu, go to Shell and click it.
4. Enter "camcontrol devlist" (no quotes) and hit <return>. We are looking for a list of info on your drives if TrueNAS can see them - like this:
1690716618123.png

and post a screencopy as I did

5. If your two HDD's are listed, then try the command that @Davvo suggested: zpool online poolname <replace his "poolname" with the name of your pool> and post the output screenshot. This will hopefully bring your pool back on line.

If your disks don't show up they may well be toast as you feared.

6. Using SSH from aanother machine, especially Win 10/11 which have SSH built in, would be a bit easier for posting results. If you are up for that, go GUI Menu>Service>SSH, click the pen, check the top two boxes and <Save>:

1690717963913.png

then check the box for start automatically and click the blue button slider to turn the SSH Service on.

1690719351864.png

7. Go to your W10/11 or other box and open an SSH terminal session - e.g. for W10/11 use Powershell <Winkley>+<X>+pick it -
and enter "SSH Root@<your FreeNAS server name>", then supply your Root password - the terminal connection will be made and you have a window from which you can cut and paste at will, and use code tags - select the pasted text here and hit the </> selection in the header menu - hit the three dots first to get the drop down.
1690718989664.png

Here's an example:

Code:
root@NAS4[~]# camcontrol devlist
<ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82>        at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68W 0A82>        at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68N 0A82>        at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<ATA WDC WD40EFZX-68A 0A81>        at scbus0 target 7 lun 0 (pass3,da3)
<ATA WDC WD40EFZX-68A 0A81>        at scbus0 target 8 lun 0 (pass4,da4)
<ATA WDC WD40EFRX-68N 0A82>        at scbus0 target 11 lun 0 (pass5,da5)
<INTEL SSDSA2M040G2GC 2CV102M3>    at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (ada0,pass6)
<AHCI SGPIO Enclosure 2.00 0001>   at scbus7 target 0 lun 0 (ses0,pass7)
root@NAS4[~]#

Good luck - tell us how you get on.